On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Stevan Harnad <har...@ecs.soton.ac.uk>wrote:

> On 2012-06-20, at 5:45 AM, Wise, Alicia (ELS-OXF) wrote:
>
> Hi Laurent,****
> ** **
> Institutions already do have agreements with publishers via their
> libraries and/or library consortia.  This is certainly the case for INRIA.
>

> Some humble advice for institutions and libraries:

I absolutely agree with Stevan. ANY negotiation with a publisher is a
business contract. It should never be left to individuals.

> Negotiate with publishers about subscription price.

Only if you are an institutional officer. Ideally do it as a country such
as Brazil rather than wasting your time and our money on secret one-on-one
contracts.

> Decline to negotiate with publishers about institutional OA policy.
>
> Absolutely.

> On no account allow anyone to lure you into discussing any contingency
> between institutional OA policy and subscription price.
>
> Absolutely. Absolutely. The idea that Elsevier wishes to discuss a
"win-win" strategy for their sustainability must be resisted at all costs.

Never never never negotiate on content-mining. You will concede fundamental
rights.

I was intending to blog this anyway.

--
Peter Murray-Rust