On 2012-07-12, at 11:13 AM, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

I am not against green OA - I am arguing that the OA community should unite and
take decisive action.

Comment: I agree and disagree. May I suggest that the OA community should work
in tandem with mutual respect rather than attempting to unite? There is no
one-size-fits all. Here are some reasons.

I would argue that it is the communities of scholars, publishers, and
librarians, working both separately and together, that need to take action.
Physics has provided us with one model, first with arXiv and now with SCOAP3.
Medicine has given us another, with the PubMedCentral International initiative.
Economics has RePEC, an interesting initiative that builds on institutional
repositories to build a discipline-focused service. Timothy Gowers and
colleagues are leading the way in the field of mathematics.

In Canada, librarians and publishers have come together in the Synergies
project which has helped many scholarly journals to develop an online presence
and made open access an easier choice.  In Canada and many other countries,
academic publishing is not a profitable venture, and so scholarly journals have
been subsidized by the government. I think it was Leslie Chan & Jean-Claude
Guedon who helped the funder, SSHRC, develop an Aid to Open Access Journals
program. Latin American countries are somewhat similar in this respect
(scholarly publishing is not about the profits); I would argue that this is one
of the reasons why this region has been able to go straight for gold. The
situation is very different where the for-profit companies are at home and have
more ability to lobby effectively, such as the UK and the US. Here, it is
probably necessary to start with green.

Strong open access policies are important - as Harnad pointed out, these need
to be green, involve immediate deposit even if access is delayed, and
accomodate the "almost-OA" researcher-mediated sharing. We should continue to
push on these lines. However, I would also argue that ultimately what needs to
happen is a careful, thoughtful transition of revenue from toll to open access.
The Compact on Open Access Publishing Equity is doing good work in this area
and is worthy of support.

There are so many open access initiatives today that are worthy of support I
can only apologize for the many that I am omitting.

One way to think about open access (which a few of us in the Directory of Open
Access Books discussion are agreeing on) is that the real opposite of open
access is closed access - the works that we cannot read at all, because they
are not available or so costly that we cannot afford to read them at all.

my two bits,

Heather Morrison, MLIS
Doctoral Candidate, Simon Fraser University School of Communication
http://pages.cmns.sfu.ca/heather-morrison/
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com