One of the factors that makes fee-free scholarly publishing possible is subsidy
funding, for example government and/or institutional subsidies.

In North America, a majority of university libraries provide hosting and
support services for journals that their faculty are involved in publishing, as
documented by: Hahn, K. (2008). Research library publishing services: New
options for university publishing. Washington, D.C.: Association of Research
Libraries. Retrieved from
http://www.arl.org/sc/models/lib-publishing/index.shtml and Taylor, D.,
Morrison, H., Owen, B., Vezina, K., & Waller, A. (2011). Open access publishing
in canada: Current and future library and university press supports. Preprint,
http://summit.sfu.ca/item/49

Canada's Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) has long had
an academic journal subsidy program, because in Canada and most other countries
with a very few exceptions, HSS publishing is not a profitable concern. Today,
this program includes an Aid to Open Access Journals component.

One way that traditional subscription-based publishers have found to move to
full open access, is to move to electronic-only publication at the same time.
For a not-for-profit publisher, the costs of subscriptions often barely cover
the costs of printing, mailing, and tracking the subscriber base.

Kevin Haggerty describes the bold move of the Canadian Journal of Sociology to
open access here:
http://informationr.net/ir/13-1/paper338.html

One hypothetical (but realistic) scenario: with free or very low cost journal
hosting (based on cost-recovery) provided by the organization, plus a little
bit of subsidy funding to help out with editorial costs (e.g. a bit of teaching
release time to clear some of an academic's time for editing, copyediting),
means that many a small scholar or scholarly-society led journal can make the
move to full open access.

This is an approach that I would recommend for the consideration of others.
Financially, this is much more prudent than subsidizing article processing fees
of large, highly profitable commercial publishers. A smaller amount in dollars
can help the scholarly society sector to survive and grow (important for other
reasons besides publishing, this sector does much more). I would anticipate
that the commercial sector will continue to survive and thrive, but they'd have
to compete - there is room for profit, but not at the 30% profit margins that a
select few have become accustomed to.

best,

Heather Morrison