Stevan, I do not really understand your distinction.

a) A book is an article but a bit longer and vice versa. (By the way, OA could
dissolve that difference.)

b)  At least in some countries, research monographs and collected volumes were
subsidised for decades by public funders, but just for printing cost while peer
review and copy editing were usually not offered by the publishers.
Therefore, I see good reasons for a funder to pay more to a publisher but to
require also peer review, copy editing and gold OA.

Best, Falk

Falk Reckling, PhD
Social Science and Humanities / Strategic Analysis / Open Access
Head of Units
Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
Sensengasse 1
A-1090 Vienna