Thanks Jean-Claude Guédon and Falk Reckling for your comments.  It is
difficult to answer them succinctly, but I will try.

1.     There is a substantial difference between books and articles in the
current situation. Almost no researcher reads the printed copy of a journal
article any more: they access the online version. Journal publishers who
continue to print paper journals are largely wasting money, or doing it for
archival purposes. On the other hand, until very recently, no-one read a
book in any other format than paper. This is beginning to change with
Kindle, iPad and other tablets, but the paradigm change is far from
complete.

2.     Editorial work on journal articles is mimimal (and often
counter-productive), while refereeing (selectivity of articles) is a major
issue. With books the situation is reversed. Editorial work is often
extensive, and acceptance (the parallel for refereeing) is largely in-house
and there are fewer proposals.

3.     I used ibooks as my example because they offer the best example of
where electronic books are going: interactive. The conventional ebook that
one can see in novels or .pub format is just a slightly souped-up pdf of
text and a few pictures. An ibook is an interactive object, albeit at
present in a proprietary format. I could also have cited Wolfram’s CDF
(Computable Document Format). Have you used an ibook or CDF? Tried to write
one? I have done both and the experience tells me that this is going to be
an influential development.

4.     Why do academic presses produce open access books? Because they are
subsidized to do so, and their performance indicators are not
profit-oriented, but academic prestige. I know that Jean-Claude realizes
this, because he says so. The same for some professional societies. Good for
them too, but it is not the norm.

5.     Printing, stock and distribution is largely wasted effort for
journals. My own university library frequently simply trashes unwanted print
copies sent to them as not worth the costs of cataloguing or shelving.

6.     A book is not just a long article, any more than the Golden Gate
Bridge is just a long log across a creek. Scale changes things. Every
engineer knows this. So do the publishing industries. Books have much
smaller purchasing groups and much greater costs, in general, than a journal
house. They also are not serials and cannot rely on continuing business.

7.     Yes, I agree that academic presses will reduce costs to produce
books. The ANU Press for example publishes online OA, or on-demand print for
a fee. Sensible and makes OA books more viable. But academic presses are
subsidized.

8.     My point in mentioning other forms of research outputs (and some of
them are research outputs in the fine arts, others in engineering, and
others in various other disciplines) was to point up the absurdity of
interpreting “all research outputs” literally.

I apologise to any pure scientists who are bemused by this exchange. If one
only publishes in journals or conferences, then the practices of other
disciplines may appear strange. You may note that I did not include
furniture prototypes, sculptures, etc to try to be succinct. The concept of
making a sculpture open access would be an interesting question for a
morning tea discussion. I could have made up a much longer list of objects
which are research outputs, including databases and datasets, plant patents,
etc. I fully expect that the ARC guidelines will spell out what research
outputs they specifically intend.

I hope that this explanation has helped.

Arthur Sale

University of Tasmania, Australia