From: Peter Morgan <p...@cam.ac.uk>
Sent: 11 September 2013 09:54
To: Friend, Fred; Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci)
Subject: RE: [GOAL] Re: [sparc-oaforum] Some Reflection from Wellcome Would Be
Welcome

Fred,

"the mistake came when they supported the application of their own policies to
taxpayer-funded research."

To the extent that Wellcome and other charities enjoy tax-breaks, it can be
argued that theirs is also "taxpayer-funded research".  See, for example…

Lisbet Rausing ("Toward a New Alexandria: Imagining the Future of Libraries",
The New Republic, 2010)
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/books-and-arts/toward-new-alexandria
"Few academic databases and research tools are in the public domain, even though
the public has paid for them—through research grants, tax breaks, and
donations."

and Peter Suber ("Open Access", MIT Press, 2012, ch.1)
http://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/titles/content/9780262517638_Open_Access_PDF_Version.pdf

"Public and private funding agencies are essentially

public and private charities, funding research they regard

as useful or beneficial. Universities have a public purpose

as well, even when they are private institutions. We sup-

port the public institutions with public funds, and we

support the private ones with tax exemptions for their

property and tax deductions for their donors."

Regards,
Peter

--
Peter Morgan