With all respect, Stevan, I am not sure it is worth answering publishers'
policy tricks with deposit hacks. The core question is: does Elsevier fulfills,
by making such statements, its duties as service provider in the domain of
scholarly communication. If not, we, as institutions, have to be clear as to
what we want, enforce the corresponding policy (i.e. we determine what and in
which way we want our publications to be disseminated) and inform the
communities accordingly. Such statements encourage us to increase our
communication towards researchers concerning predatory behaviours. And this is
one for sure.
Laurent

Laurent Romary
INRIA & HUB-IDSL