Call for action!

A new ecology for scholarly communications is emerging which involves openness
and sharing of publications, data, research administrative information, and
other research outputs.

Libraries and universities are already contributing to this ecology by hosting
systems and platforms that provide access to content. But the time has come to
increase our participation and bring back control of the system to the
scholarly community. This will ensure that the system reflects the value of
research as a public good that should be shared widely for the benefit of
society, rather than driven and manipulated to support profit making by
companies through locking up content and controlling scholarly workflows.

In order to ensure widespread access and participation in the system, scholarly
services and platforms should be as open as possible. There are already
thousands of repositories being managed by research institutions across the
world, essentially representing a global knowledge commons. They have coalesced
into networks and communities of practice at regional and national levels, and
are working at the global level through COAR to ensure interoperability and
improve repository platforms so they can expose content in more flexible ways
and develop  services that support scholarly communication, such as peer
review, metrics and researchers’ profiles. To prevent the further takeover of
the knowledge commons by corporate interests, we must intensify and build on
these early efforts to greatly improve the functionality of our systems, raise
awareness of their value, and better support the needs of the research
community.

Given our shared values and mission, we call on the scholarly community to work
together to support and contribute to a system that is truly open, functional,
and driven by the needs of the research community.

One of COAR’s major objectives for 2016-17 is to identify the core
functionalities for the next generation of repositories
<https://www.coar-repositories.org/activities/advocacy-leadership/working-group-next-generation-repositories/>,
 as well as the architectures and technologies required to implement them; and
to work with the repository community to help adopt these functionalities. We
also aim to create a global standard for repositories that establishes
repositories as a central place for the daily research and dissemination
activities of researchers.

Please let me know if you are interested in this activity. We are looking for
ways to bring in broader participation.

Kathleen Shearer
Executive Director, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
m.kathleen.shea...@gmail.com <mailto:m.kathleen.shea...@gmail.com> - +1 514 992
9068
Skype: kathleen.shearer2 - twitter: @KathleeShearer