Stevan – my answers are in the text.

From: goal-boun...@eprints.org [mailto:goal-boun...@eprints.org] On Behalf Of
Stevan Harnad
Sent: May 18, 2016 6:30 PM
To: Global Open Access List (Successor of AmSci) <goal@eprints.org>
Subject: Re: [GOAL] Prophylactic Against Elsevier Predation

And then, if Science-Metrix & 1science succeeds in helping librarians harvest
back the output that university researchers have deposited elsewhere in the web
than their own university's repository, Elsevier can buy Science-Metrix &
1science as it bought Mendeley, SSRN and PURE and tighten yet again the
stranglehold on our research output that they should never have had in the
first place.

-->So your suggestion for us is what? Close the company now and all the staff
join a university and we would finally achieve the level of nobility and
disinterestedness that all good humans should aim for? La noblesse publique! Or
is it to develop a product that is so stupid that no one will buy it, to close
the shop, then repeat same until we have been consigned to oblivion? Are you
suggesting that companies leave everything that is university-related to
universities? And that we also leave everything governmental to government
employees? Perhaps we should also leave customers to barter among themselves?
Yes, I know, the world would be so happy without these greedy entrepreneurs,
there would be no profit taking, and we would obtain a perfect distribution of
wealth. Dream on.

Like most of the people who completed a Ph.D. I seriously considered going into
academia but for a variety of reason life decided differently. So what do we do
when we have a drive to change the world? We find a job at Google that you seem
to admire so much that you always promote as a solution for every ill created
by companies just equally greedy but who are not advertising businesses. We
need a world more complex than the choice between being noble academics or
being employed at virtuous Google. I know I’m not noble, but I feel no shame
getting my hand dirty working in a private corporation. We also play a part in
making this world work. Evil certainly is present in business, but it is not
entirely absent from academia even if academia has way more checks and balances
to keep this low.

The economics of small firms is tough, real tough, I know something about it
after 15 years running Science-Metrix. We are squeezed by large entities that
have economies of scale that make us extremely inefficient in comparison. I am
so constantly aware of it that one day I’d like to call upon Thomas Piketty to
jointly write a book showing that rate of scale return in countries is
persistently greater than that associated with creativity and flexibility and
this leads “naturally” to concentration in industry. Also, as small firms, we
are also frequently competing against noble academics who triple dip with their
salaries, their research grants and generating some non-taxable research income
to top it all up. Of course, we are the greedy ones, we the entrepreneurs, in
contrast to these disinterested academics for whom money doesn’t count and for
whom profiteering is such a filth. In case there is a doubt here, yes I am
sarcastic. Like many entrepreneurs, I work nearly every day of the week, from
dusk to long after dawn and my son ask my wife when we’ll have a normal life. I
didn’t start 1science to sell it up to Elsevier, but I would think one could
understand if one day I ran out of steam I ended up doing so. Many
entrepreneurs are like farmers, the only money they have is in the value of
their enterprise, so selling is not a shame, it’s a pension scheme.

With all my admiration for what Science-Metrix & 1science do, it's nothing that
a few bright graduate students in computer science could not do as a JISC
project, and afterwards the software is available to all universities. As
foolish as a Fool's-Gold membership consortium of universities is, a consortium
to support and sustain the skills and tools needed to repatriate universities'
research as well as its processing would be wise thing to form. The research
funders would stand to benefit from supporting it too.

--> Now obviously you don’t have much admiration for our work if your sense
that the work done by the 20 employees at 1science and the 25 at Science-Metrix
can be done by a few bright students in computer science. We are a diverse team
of proud professionals. I have three degrees in science, technology and
society, studying innovation and science policy as core interest. Surely that
must have a bit of value whilst driving a team that develops products that seek
to provide benefits to users and create overall public returns on investments.
Plus my twenty years on the work market including the last fifteen running a
successful business which despite being so relatively minuscule is seen as such
as a threat by companies that have revenues more than 1000 times greater and
profits even more ridiculously greater. I think I know what I’m doing and no
offence to students I value experience a tad. No offence also to computer
scientists that I really admire and with whom I truly love working, they work
even better when connected with people with different skillsets. This is one of
the things that companies do well, naturally, without bickering, that is, bring
people with very different skillsets to work together on a common project. What
about the experience of our product manager, and the professional developers,
and the people who work in marketing – yes marketing, because if no one knows
about your software, even if it’s offered for free, no one will use it.

Providing successful innovations is not only about technics. I have visited
more than one hundred universities in the last year to see if our ideas were
right and to adjust the course of action of the company constantly while
following a textbook lean startup model, and I did that with the help of
seasoned sales persons. That’s right, probably considered as low life forms by
some as they generate revenues, salespeople are key to helping clients get what
they need. Salespeople are extremely important in innovations, they oblige the
entrepreneurial entity to be in touch with the needs of the clients, to listen
to them, to adjust products so they are useful to end users. The successful
salesperson converts entrepreneurial hubris into modesty. She pushes the team
with new ideas, relentlessly, all the time.  So much so in fact that the
development team wants to get rid of her as she unremittingly push forward and
forward, in the way that clients want which means developers never have a few
cushy hours. With the backing of the Science-Metrix team, and also benefitting
from the wisdom of my long time business partner Grégoire Côté, we also count
on more than 100 years of collective in-depth knowledge of bibliographic data,
big data, and of the traps and challenges of delivering high quality data, and
actionable outputs based on robust bibliometrics. Surely that’s useful when
working hand-in-hand in a close feedback loop with computer scientists.

Academia is unbeatable in knowledge production, but it is no heaven in terms of
its capacity to develop complex products in a nimble manner, with high
velocity, and especially over a long time period with continuous improvements.
And no, before I’m being accused of this, I don’t mean to say it never
succeeds, it does, and it sometimes fail, my point is this is far from a fail
safe solution or one that also generates the greatest social returns on public
investments. Counting on academia alone for innovative product development is
not sufficient. I think it’s fair to give a chance to entrepreneurs also and to
see their contributions as being more than that of greedy automatons that spew
companies just for the sake of earning a quick buck by selling them off.

Research access-provision, archiving and processing simply do not have to be
outsourced by universities. It's just a perverse Gutenberg legacy -- the
predatory publisher stranglehold -- that makes it seem even seem faintly worthy
of considering for a microsecond.

(This has nothing to do with the question of whether digital warehousing is
cheaper to do in-hourse or in some commercial cloud. I have no idea whatsoever
about the economics of that. Nor about whether it's more economical to
outsource email services. I'm talking about custodianship over -- and access to
-- universities' own research output.)

è    You are right, they do not have to be outsourced, but universities do not
always have very good accounting systems in place and it’s not because things
appear to be cheaper in academia that they truly are. Things often appear cheap
when you consider that the salary of individuals who are in the top 5 percent
income bracket should not be counted in the cost of your product. And then
there is the question of whether it is the mission of universities to become
product developers. I am constantly ambivalent about that one, and the drive of
conservative governments who don’t understand that the greatest contribution of
universities by far is to provide society with very smart people who can tackle
very complex problems and who have a huge capacity to adapt and to evolve – I’m
speaking of students who leave universities and become grownups. Paradoxically,
your prescription to create a hermit university kingdom runs somewhat parallel
to the utilitarian drift of public policies that want to convert universities
in Blackberries creating machines.

Buying some of the solutions from evil companies, both small firms whose raison
d’être you feel is only to be acquired and these big conglomerate earning 38%
or whatever insane profit as some people always point out, and in spite of all
these profits being made, can still make sense from an economic point of view.
I’m bringing this back – at the system level, large firms are extremely
efficient because of their large scale, and even in the presence of indecent,
non-sufficiently taxed profits, they often are in a position to offer a
solution that is more socially optimal than having thousands of academics
working inefficiently on a small scale in an unsynchronized manner. I’m not
defending that model as the right one for everything, I just think we should
keep a cool head and respect the value of plurality.

And for those who wonder, I truly love Stevan and I’m happy that a very small
parts of my taxes is going towards paying for his salary (and, reflectively
that a small part of my taxes is paying for me and my team as more than 90% our
work is paid by public taxes). I am happy to live in a world where we can
afford to have independent thinkers whose job is not jeopardized by the mere
fact of having socially progressive ideas and challenging the status quo.
Stevan and I have many things in common, one of them is that we like having a
little argument every now and then. I truly hope I don’t sound condescending
here, if I do it is because of my eternal youth and maladresse. Stevan, keep
poking with your sharp mind, I have been missing you on GOAL recently, it gets
far too gentile when you are too busy with your other causes.

Respectfully

Éric

Stevan Harnad

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Éric Archambault
<eric.archamba...@science-metrix.com<mailto:eric.archamba...@science-metrix.com>>
 wrote:
Eric

At 1science, we have developed a robust solution to address some of the
problems you are mentioning. In contrast to the optimistic view of the
repositories that Stevan has, in our efforts to locate all the contents which
is available in green and gold (including hybrid), we are finding that most of
the IRs have only about 5-8% of the papers published by authors at the
universities hosting these repositories. Another contrast, the latest data we
have compiled at 1science shows that we are fast approaching 60% of the papers
indexed the Thomson Reuters Web of Science which can be found in gratis OA form
somewhere on the internet. Given the law of large numbers, on average, there is
a gap of more than 50% between what is available somewhere on the net, and what
is available in local IR. It’s clear tat a solution that fills that gap quickly
can remove a huge pain point in the filling of IR with full-text (or links to
full-text) and proper metadata.

We have developed a product called oaFoldr which basically repatriates these
papers to the IRs. Our privileged model is to feed the IRs with good quality
metadata (and when institutions are subscribing to the Web of Science, we can
install the WoS API and populate the repository with very high quality metadata
and this removes a lot of the pain of entering data manually) and then place
URLs that points to locations (other IR, publishers’ websites, arXiv, Scielo,
PMC,…) where a gratis OA version is located. This turns empty IRs into
institutional knowledge hubs. Of course, many librarians are also actively
examining these links and copying a physical version of the paper in the IR
(where possible considering licencing and rights issues). If the uptake is good
for this product (which we think it will as we developed this solution because
we kept hearing from tens of university librarians that something of the kind
was really needed), IRs are going to be way more populated, way faster, and
librarians and researchers will be able to spend more time archiving and
self-archiving pre-prints and post-prints that do not exist anywhere else. For
libraries to spend time looking at what is uniquely missing makes sense, this
is an exercise in search engine optimization as the Bing and Google bots will
see unique content. This solution will help move universities towards 100% OA
availability at the institutional level. Take Caltech – they already have a
stunningly good IR but using 1science’s data it’ll be every better – we can
find close to 80% of Caltech’s paper in Gratis OA somewhere on the internet. Of
course, this solution is not a silver bullet and some problems will remain but
it will help creating a more robust, distributed architecture.

Éric

Eric Archambault, Ph.D.
President and CEO | Président-directeur général
Science-Metrix & 1science
[http://1science.com/images/LinkedIn_sign.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericarchambault>
T. 1.514.495.6505 x.111<tel:1.514.495.6505%20x.111>
C. 1.514.518.0823<tel:1.514.518.0823>
F. 1.514.495.6523<tel:1.514.495.6523>

[http://1science.com/images/Logo_SM_horizontal_small.png]<http://www.science-metrix.com/>
   [http://1science.com/images/1science.png] <http://www.1science.com/>