I agree with Heather, this is unclear and needs checking. There is a
difference between the author of a work and the owner. I would agree that
it appears to be a deceptive practice. I have had similar problems
"arguing" with Elsevier about text-and-datamining "licences" where the
licences apparently give rights to Elsevier.

I will try to get an informal opinion.

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Heather Morrison <
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca> wrote:

> Elsevier's copyright page provides a very clear example of copyright
> transfer combined with CC licenses. Elsevier is not alone in this practice;
> I see this quite frequently while looking for APCS.
>
> The Elsevier copyright page:
> https://www.elsevier.com/about/company-information/policies/copyright
>
> States under "for open access articles":
> "Authors sign an exclusive license agreement, where authors have copyright
> but license exclusive rights in the article to the publisher. In this case
> authors have the right to share their articles in the same ways permitted
> to third parties..."
>
> This language makes it very clear that when Elsevier applies CC licenses,
> Elsevier (or one of its partners)  is the Licensor or copyright holder,
> even when there is a copyright statement indicating the author holds
> copyright.
>
> I argue that this is a deceptive practice that I call author nomination
> copyright.
>
> This is important,  because CC licenses place obligations downstream for
> licensees, not Licensor. The copyright holder of a CC license has no
> obligation to continue to provide a copy of the work under the same terms
> in perpetuity (unless there is a separate contract).
>
> To assess the extent of this practice one must examine journal/author
> contracts, not just visible indications, because even if an author is
> licensed CC-BY and indicates the author as copyright holder, it may
> actually be the publisher who owns all the rights under copyright.
>
> best,
>
> Heather Morrison

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics