While the language may be confusing, the US Copyright Act makes it clear
that
an exclusive license *is* a transfer of copyright.

17 USC 101: *A “transfer of copyright ownership” is an assignment,*
 mortgage,
*exclusive license, *or any other conveyance, alienation, or hypothecation
of a
copyright or of any of the exclusive rights comprised in a copyright,
whether or
not it is limited in time or place of effect, *but not including a
nonexclusive license.*

This line in Elsevier's agreement creates this confusion:  "Authors sign an
exclusive
license agreement, where authors have copyright but license exclusive
rights in the
article to the publisher. In this case authors have the right to share
their articles in the
same ways permitted to third parties..."

If *all* rights are exclusively assigned, then the author is *not *the
copyright holder.
The copyright may be registered in their name, but they are not the
copyright holder.
If *some* rights are exclusively assigned, then the author *and *the
publisher are each
copyright holders of whatever rights were allocated in the contract.

As to the SPARC "How open is it" scale, Elsevier might try to argue that it
should
get a 4 out of 5 because the author "owns" the copyright, but by plain text
of the
statute, it does not.  So they are properly placed in the middle of the
"Copyrights"
scale: "Publisher holds copyright, with some allowances for author and
reader
reuse of published version"

Elsevier is not alone in this practice, by the way; it's unfortunately
common.  And
it's very confusing to authors and editors alike.  Heather Morrison is
correct to call
out as confusing and problematic Elsevier's practice of requiring authors
transfer their copyright to be licensed CC by Elsevier.  I'd also like to
call out as
deceptive this practice of telling authors they are the "copyright holders"
when,
by the terms of their contract and the statute, *they are not*.

Laura Quilter

Laura Markstein Quilter / lquil...@lquilter.net
Attorney, Geek, Militant Librarian, Teacher