Hi David,

agree on general principles does nothing to resolve those disagreements,” I
deeply disagree. To my knowledge and experience---which, granted, appears to
differ from yours---agreeing on general principles is, in fact, a prerequisite
to actually resolving disagreements as opposed to just papering over them. I
would be happy to debate this with you off-list. I don’t want to exhaust the
good will of our audience here (if we haven’t already).

But to elaborate, from page 18 of the paper (the long version): “….common
ground is a unique, "expanded pie" state. It isn't a grand compromise where we
manage to divide a static pie into smaller, less satisfying slices, but
creating a larger pie where new value is available throughout the system. In
this case, then, common ground doesn't mean seeking a compromise between
embargoes and immediate release; or between APCs and subscriptions; or between
publish or perish culture in academia and something a little kinder and
gentler. It means thinking beyond, focusing not on picking specific solutions
but on understanding how our interests overlap lest we get weighted down by too
many solutions or too many solutions we don’t like. By identifying the broad
contours of common ground that exist in this conversation we can build the
guardrails and mileposts for our collaborative efforts and then allow the
finer-grained details of community-developed plans more flexibility and
guidance to evolve over time.”

Please note that examples of common ground perspectives from OSI’s five years
of work are included on report pages 19-26, and also in Annex 1 (pages 39-53).

Regards,

Glenn

Glenn Hampson
Executive Director