--- George Pinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For those further interested in Malthus (Elisabeth's
> reference above), see link and excerpt below
> http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/profiles/malthus.htm

Mario observes:

It isn't often that I have the opportunity to respond
to two worthy left-wing intelletuals at the same time
on Goanet, both of whom seem to find the ideas of
Malthus to be as compelling as I find them to be
pessimistic and misguided.

My advice to Khuswant Singh and Dr. Chidambaram is to
press on with their plans without worrying too much
about Malthus.  After all, he has been wrong for 300
years, so what are the probabilities that he will be
vindicated in future?

As one example from George's post above, "Malthus's
hypothesis implied that actual population always has a
tendency to push above the food supply."

Based on this India and China should have been facing
mass starvation by now.  However, because people don't
sit still in the face of problems but develop
solutions, both countries are self-sufficient in their
food supplies, and are even exporting food.

Here is an URL from a major university that rebutts
the pessimistic theories of Malthus:

http://william-king.www.drexel.edu/top/prin/txt/gro/gro6.html

Some excerpts:

"It appears, in retrospect, that Malthus was wrong.
Over the past 200 years, the population has grown in
most countries and worldwide, but (again in most
countries) people by and large have not gotten worse
off, but better off, in material terms. Food is more
plentiful, and many other kinds of goods and services
are available that were not available 200 years ago.
The reason is that technical progress in the
production of food and in other fields has not been
rare and accidental, but rather more or less
continuous and cumulative. And this improvement in
technology has outrun population growth, leaving more
and more people better off."

"Looked at in detail, technical progress over this
period has not been so continuous or regular. Before
Malthus, about 1700, Britain had experienced an
"agricultural revolution," a major surge of technical
progress in agriculture. In the nineteenth century,
however, agricultural productivity seems to have
remained relatively stagnant, while manufacturing and
transportation surged ahead. But cheap manufactures
made it possible to outfit more farmers more cheaply,
and the improvements of transportation made is
possible to bring food from further away, as new
agricultural land was settled. Once again, in the
twentieth century, agricultural productivity surged
into the lead with large, continuing increases in
agricultural productivity, together with some growth
in manufacturing productivity."

"From the Malthusian viewpoint, this looks like a
series of lucky accidents, and a Malthusian might say
that there is no scientific reason to believe that the
luck can continue -- that such a belief is no more
than an act of faith. But from the anti-Malthusian
viewpoint, things look quite different. An
anti-Malthusian might ask how long a trend has to
continue before it stops being a lucky accident and
starts to be a general rule. If three hundred years is
not long enough, how long? And how many times must the
Malthusians be wrong before they realize that their
ideas are flawed?" (end of excerpt)