Thank you Mervyn
I’m slowly working my way thru Gurnah’s books. A great writer, his language
is so nuanced and lovely to read.

I happened to have gone with summer fieldwork from Makerere in 1962,
working for the  Tanzania  Geological Survey, mostly in the
Handeni-Korogwe-Lushoto area. Camping in tents with the African field
staff, I made lots of friends with the locals. The Englishmen in the teams
had their separate camps, posher and nicer.

You must know Lushoto and Usambara Mountains were a favorite place for the
German settlers due to the cold climate;  and they grew tea in these
mountains, sisal rope at lower altitudes.

So there were a few old men who had served the Germans as laborers and
soldiers before 1918. So many stories about the old days over chai, beer
and cigarettes!! And bao, of course, till the Mwalimu made bao illegal
during work hours.

It was always very sad to come across little iron fenced graveyards for the
young whites who died in the WWI. They were German, Belgian and English.
Walking thru the bush mapping and prospecting, one came across these
cemeteries.

 The same applied in the /Bukoba area later in 1964. There were no similar
gravesites for the dead African and Indian soldiers who participated in
these battles