>"In a statement, the AITUC said Indian workers were being sent to Israel
to replace Palestinian construction workers.

'The area has become a war zone due to Israel’s aggressive moves against
the neighbouring Arab countries. The AITUC reiterates its demand to the
central government not to callously send our young men to Israel in a
desperate attempt to check our rising unemployment, but to cancel any
contract entered into with Israel for such ‘export’ of construction workers
and any other workers,' it said."

>“'The Indian government allowed the workers to be used as cannon fodders
in the war zone,' Sen [Tapan, CITU, General Secretary] added."

-----------------------
By: Basant Kumar Mohanty
Published in: *The Telegraph*
Date: March 7, 2024
Source:
https://www.telegraphindia.com/india/labour-organisations-urge-centre-not-to-send-indian-workers-to-israel-after-kerala-resident-dies-in-missile-attack/cid/2005203

All India Trade Union Congress and Centre of Indian Trade Unions urge
government to cancel agreements, if any, with Israeli firms to send Indian
workers

Labour organisations have urged the Centre not to send Indian workers to
Israel, a day after a Kerala resident was killed in a missile attack on
Israel’s northern border.

The All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) and the Centre of Indian Trade
Unions (Citu) have urged the government to cancel the agreements, if any,
with Israeli firms to send Indian workers.

Nibin Maxwell from Kerala was working on a farm near the Israel-Lebanon
border when he was killed in a missile attack believed to have been carried
out by the Shia Hezbollah faction on Tuesday.

In a statement, the AITUC said Indian workers were being sent to Israel to
replace Palestinian construction workers.

“The area has become a war zone due to Israel’s aggressive moves against
the neighbouring Arab countries. The AITUC reiterates its demand to the
central government not to callously send our young men to Israel in a
desperate attempt to check our rising unemployment, but to cancel any
contract entered into with Israel for such ‘export’ of construction workers
and any other workers,” it said.

Citu general secretary Tapan Sen said the Centre had told the Israeli
government that it would send workers as the work permits of Palestinians
had been suspended after the war broke out in October last year.

“Several hundred workers from different states have gone to Israel in
recent months after Israel attacked Gaza. Some states such as Haryana and
Uttar Pradesh issued advertisements to encourage people to go to Israel to
work. We have been opposing it because of the safety and security of
workers. In reality, the safety of workers is meaningless for the
government,” he said.

“The Indian government allowed the workers to be used as cannon fodders in
the war zone,” Sen added.

CPI Rajya Sabha member Binoy Vishwam had in January written to external
affairs minister S. Jaishankar stating that Indian citizens had been sent
for jobs in Israel by bypassing all kinds of protections and social
security customary for workers in conflict zones.