"In my [E.A.S.Sarma] view, the abrupt and somewhat inexplicable exit of
Shri Goel [Arun, the third Election Commissioner] raises the following
questions:

   - *Did Shri Goel express his dissent on the way the political executive
   has been trying to interfere with the electoral process in several ways
   vitiating its sanctity?*
   - *Did Shri Goel express doubts about the efficacy of the use of EVMs?*
   - *Did he express his concern at the way the political executive has
   pressured the SBI not to disclose the details of the EBS?*
   - *Was there any proposal from Shri Goel to freeze the residual amounts
   received by the political parties under the EBS to prevent their use in the
   ensuing elections?*
   - *Did Shrii Goel propose that BJP's nominees from the Boards of BEL,
   ECIL and SBI be withdrawn to maintain the sanctity the electoral process?*
   - *Did Shri Goel express his dissent on any other matter that would have
   displeased the political executive?*
   - *Did the highest within the political executive force Shri Goel to
   tender his resignation to clear the way for the ruling party's
   machinations?"*

------------------------------

E A S Sarma

Former Secretary to the Government of India

Smt. Droupadi Murmu

Hon’ble President of India

Respected Rashtrapati Ji,
Kindly refer to my letter of 7th March, 2024 about the attempts on the part
of the political executive to deviate from the directions of the Hon'ble
Supreme Court on appointment of Election Commissioners, the contentious
Electoral Bonds scheme (EBS) and its planting BJP nominees on the Boards of
Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL), Electronics Corporation India Ltd (ECIL) and
the SBI evidently to interfere at every stage of the electoral process in
one way or the other, which in my view vitiates the sanctity of elections (
https://countercurrents.org/2024/03/letter-to-president-of-india-non-transparency-of-funding-through-electoral-bonds-appointment-of-political-nominees-on-the-boards-of-sbi-bel-ecil-and-violating-norms-of-appointment-of-election-comm/
)

One Election Commissioner has recently retired and the political executive
is trying to select a candidate of its choice to succeed him. Meanwhile, I
find that Shri Arun Goel, the third Election Commissioner has tendered his
resignation prematurely, though his term is due to expire only in 2027. Shri
Goel's resignation appears to have been accepted by the government in an
undue hurry on the 9th of March, 2024 and the same was notified by the
Ministry of Law & Justice yesterday.

This leaves the Election Commission of India limping with only one Election
Commissioner, namely, Shri Rajiv Kumar to oversee the ensuing elections.

What has transpired thus far is too serious a matter that casts a shadow on
the entire electoral process on which some of us and many political parties
have expressed our concerns time and again.

In my view, the abrupt and somewhat inexplicable exit of Shri Goel raises
[...]

I earnestly believe that the nation expects an independent inquiry into the
above questions as they concern the integrity of the democratic processes
in India and the future of our democracy itself. Such an inquiry needs to
be independent of the political executive and preferably it needs to be
entrusted by your office to a panel of the sitting members of the Supreme
Court.

Pending such an enquiry, your office, invoking the authority under the
Constitution, order that (i) no announcement of the election schedule be
made by the Election Commission, (ii) no policy decisions/ announcements be
made by the political executive, and (iii) no expenditure should be
incurred by any political party from the funds received under the EBS.

Respected Rashtrapati Ji, your intervention at this critical juncture in
the affairs of the nation is necessary and perhaps unavoidable to preserve
the democratic character of our Constitution and the well-being of the
nation.

May I, as a senior citizen, deeply concerned with the future of our
democracy, appeal to you to step in, act decisively and ensure that the
dreams of Dr B R Ambedkar and the other framers of our Constitution are
fulfilled?

Respectfully,

E A S Sarma
10th March 2024