Mar 22

Maybe it's pretty ordinary to others, including astronomers, but I found
the Hubble Constant fascinating from the first time I heard about it.
That's because of everything it builds on and suggests. A universe that's
expanding (into what?). In every direction. The farther, the faster.
Doppler-shifted light. The age of the universe, and thus what came before.
On and on.

I've written about the Hubble Constant before. Interestingly, different
methods give us slightly but significantly different values for it. "Hubble
Tension" refers to the inability to resolve that difference. And I was
particularly delighted to find a paper that, in effect, looks at a
potential candidate for that tension and concludes that well, that
candidate does not "significantly contribute to the [Hubble] tension." Thus
we continue with the tension. Something about that appeals. Somehow.

So that's my Mint column for today, March 22.  Don't take tension, but the
universe expands,
https://www.livemint.com/opinion/columns/dont-take-tension-but-the-universe-expands-11711037262132.html

As usual, your thoughts welcome.

You will find a PS below the text: next Friday will be my last Mint column.
The editor called me a few weeks ago and said he wanted to "reconfigure" it
as a more straight-up business and finance publication. My column didn't
fit that vision. After 13 years and somewhere close to 400 essays, I feel
distinctly sad to lose this column. But I owe you, my audience, a great big
thanks for reading and responding to my efforts.

Someone asked me for the email address of the editor, to write to ask him
to reconsider. I'm touched and grateful that this friend wants to do that!
If you would like to write as well, the editor is Ravi Krishnan,
ravi.krish...@livemint.com. I also have dealt for several years with Rajesh
Jose on the editorial team, his address rajes...@livemint.com. Copy
feedb...@livemint.com.

cheers,
dilip

---

Don't take tension, but the universe expands

The world of science is full of specific numbers that mean something,
sometimes called "constants". I'm not referring to 1, 2, 3 and so on,
though of course those certainly mean something as well. There's pi, and
phi (the golden ratio) and e, mathematical constants that pop up all over
the place. But there's also the Avogadro constant, and the speed of light,
and the acceleration due to gravity ...

... and there's my favourite, the Hubble Constant that says things about
this universe we inhabit. But before I explain why I like it, here's a
rundown of how Edwin Hubble, the great 20th Century astronomer, came to
define this number and give it a value, and what it means for our
understanding of the universe.

You've heard of the Doppler effect or shift: it's the change in the
frequency of a wave that you notice if you and the source of the wave are
moving relative to each other. Plainer language, you say? Certainly you've
noticed the change in the pitch of a train's horn as it moves past you. The
horn is higher pitched as the train approaches you, lower as it moves away.
That's the Doppler effect: the sound is "shifted" lower or higher depending
on how the train is moving.

Well, astronomers noticed distant galaxies producing the same kind of
shift. Not in some sound they make, but in the light that they emit that
reaches us. That light is Doppler-shifted too, and (in general) towards the
lower-frequency red end of the light spectrum. What does this "redshift"
tell us? That those galaxies are moving, and moving away from us. In turn,
that means the universe is expanding.

This was a fundamental, profound discovery about the universe. It raised
all sorts of questions. What is it expanding into? Will it stop expanding
at some point, and start collapsing? Is the expansion slowing down or
accelerating, or is it steady? And how fast is it expanding, anyway?

Edwin Hubble was the first to offer an answer to some of these questions,
and it was a surprising one. The further a galaxy is from us, he found, the
faster it is receding from us. In other words, the redshift of a given
galaxy doesn't just tell us how fast it is moving; it also is a measure of
its distance from us. The Hubble Constant captures this, and Hubble
estimated it at about 500km/second per megaparsec (mpc). (The megaparsec is
a unit of distance, equivalent to about 3.25 million light years, or mly.)
He is now believed to have overestimated - contemporary measurements
suggest it is closer to 65km/s/mpc.

Like with most things to do with the universe, this Constant involves
quantities almost too huge to comprehend. The closest star to us, Proxima
Centauri, is about 4.3 light years away - itself about 40 trillion km. Our
Milky Way Galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. So a megaparsec is
about 750,000 times the distance to Proxima Centauri, and over 30 times the
diameter of the Milky Way.

The Hubble Constant says that with each megaparsec out into space from the
Earth, an object's velocity increases by 65km/s. One way to understand this
is to consider a galaxy that's more or less stationary, one mpc away. With
every second, it moves another 65km away. Or imagine that we find a galaxy
whose redshift says it is speeding along at 200km/s. The Hubble Constant
tells us it is about 3mpc (200/65) away.

If that's still hard to comprehend - it is, to me - think of friend Manjula
who jumps on her bike, saying: "I'm going to flee from you. With each
kilometer I put between us, my speed will increase by 5kmph." Her Manjula
Constant, if you like, is 5kmph/km. With a toss of her hair, she pedals
off. Some time later, she zooms past friend Mandeep, who measures her speed
and reports to you: 20kmph. You know that Manjula is now 4km (20/5) from
you.

But what's more, her Constant also gives you a quick estimate of how long
Manjula has been pedalling. Invert it to get 1/5, or 0.2 hours, which is 12
minutes. That's how long it takes to travel 4km at 20kmph. That's how long
it's been since she left.

And this is what makes the Hubble Constant my favourite such. Because by
simply inverting it, we have an estimate of the age of the universe - we
effectively roll the clock back to that gargantuan primeval explosion we
know as the Big Bang. Try it: invert 65km/s/mpc and do some relatively
straightforward arithmetic. You'll come up with a figure of a little less
than 16 billion years.

The thing is, though, that we don't have the Hubble Constant down
precisely. Astronomers have generally used three different methods to
calculate it, and the values they get vary: about a 10 percent difference
between the figures. That may not be much, considering that there is an
inherent uncertainty in measuring redshifts and distances on these cosmic
scales. Still, a respected science journalist wrote last year: "as far as
anyone can tell, there's nothing wrong with [these measurements], and
there's no obvious way to get them to agree" ("Gravitational lens gives us
a third estimate of the Universe’s expansion", John Timmer, Ars Technica,
13 May 2023,
https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/05/gravitational-lens-gives-us-a-third-estimate-of-the-universes-expansion/).
So persistent is this difference that it has come to be known as the
"Hubble Tension".

One method of calculating the Hubble Constant involves a certain class of
stars known as Cepheid variables. A recent paper builds on data from over a
thousand Cepheids observed  by the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST). They
were earlier observed with the older Hubble Space Telescope (HST). There
was some suspicion that those observations were not very accurate, and the
"superior resolution of JWST negates" such inaccuracies. Even so, the paper
"conclude[s] that errors in [HST measurements] of Cepheids ... do not
significantly contribute to the [Hubble] tension." ("JWST Observations
Reject Unrecognized Crowding of Cepheid Photometry as an Explanation for
the Hubble Tension at 8σ Confidence", Adam G Riess et al, Astrophysical
Journal Letters, 6 February 2024,
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ad1ddd.)

An entire scientific effort merely to confirm that the Hubble tension still
exists! I love astronomy. And mathematics. And science. And reason.

---

PS: Next week's column will be my last in this space. It's been 13 years
and something like 400 columns. I've loved writing them, I am so grateful
that you read them and I hope they gave you things to think about.

--
My book from Penguin-Random House: Roadwalker: A Few Miles on the Bharat
Jodo Yatra