Over the years Goa has been witnessing a lot of positive steps in the
collection, segregation and disposal of garbage. But much more needs to be
done to achieve the goals.

We should aim to keep our cities and villages free from garbage strewn all
over. This would be to everyone’s benefit by ensuring our health and
wellbeing. It would also attract high end tourists who have been straying
away from Goa.

Public dumping of waste all over, even throwing it brazenly in rivers
and ponds is unacceptable. The gravity of the situation has been
consistently highlighted by our High Court who has been monitoring the
progress done in Waste Management.

Goa needs three or four more garbage disposal plants to ensure proper

handling of garbage across the State. Effective Garbage Disposal needs
a complete
and total solution looking at every aspect, including the type of Garbage,
collection of Garbage besides the recycling and proper disposal of Garbage.
Conventional and Modern methods must be studied and put in place.

Furthermore, we need an educational program with clear laid down

procedures for the people. In addition, there must also be effective honest
policing of the guidelines coupled with punitive action for persistent
wrongdoers. All this necessitates a sizable investment by the Government
which must be fully utilized for the purpose intended and is an investment
worth making.