>"The news media, the national legislature, civil society, sometimes even
the courts — all have largely been bent to his [Prime Minister Narendra
Modi's] will. But one critical group of holdouts remains: some of India’s
richest states, the engine of its rapid growth."

>"They [ his opponents] accuse Mr. Modi’s administration of delaying
federal money for major projects; of jailing or hounding opposition leaders
while shielding anyone who joins the prime minister’s party; of obstructing
the delivery of basic services; and of throwing state politics into chaos."

>"Mr. Modi offers a simple solution: for the states governed by parties
other than his Bharatiya Janata Party, or B.J.P., to come on board."

>"If they do not comply, the states get wrench after wrench thrown into the
works of their governments, officials say, making it difficult for them to
deliver on election promises. The B.J.P., relentlessly expanding its base,
waits in the wings."

>“'You’re playing with fire,' India’s chief justice, Dhananjaya Yeshwant
Chandrachud, told the central government
<https://twitter.com/LawTodayLive/status/1722892973355188497> after the
governor in the opposition-controlled state of Punjab repeatedly prevented
legislative work. 'Will we continue to be a parliamentary democracy?'”

>"The party’s deputy leader and a key cabinet minister have been in jail
for over a year. On Thursday, in a dramatic nighttime raid, government
agents arrested Arvind Kejriwa
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/world/asia/india-national-congress-bank-accounts-bjp.html>
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/world/asia/india-national-congress-bank-accounts-bjp.html>
, the party’s leader and Delhi’s chief minister, whom they have accused of
financial crimes. He is the first serving chief minister to be arrested."

>"The biggest federal-state fault line pits the more prosperous south
against Mr. Modi’s support base in the north."

>"In opposition-held states, Mr. Modi has offered infrastructure and
welfare projects, branded with his name or that of his office, to pitch
himself as India’s only driver of development and growth."
--------------
By: Mujib Mashal and Hari Kumar -- Reporting from Chennai and New Delhi in
India
Published in: *The New York Times*
Date: March 23, 2024
As an election nears, political strife between Prime Minister Narendra Modi
and opposition-held states is straining the federal formula that holds
India together.

It is the final frontier for India’s most powerful leader in decades.

Narendra Modi, over his 10 years as prime minister, has made it his mission
to turn a complex and diverse country of 1.4 billion people into something
approaching a monolith dominated by his sweeping Hindu nationalist vision.

The news media, the national legislature, civil society, sometimes even the
courts — all have largely been bent to his will. But one critical group of
holdouts remains: some of India’s richest states, the engine of its rapid
growth.

The future shape of the world’s largest democracy — and its economic
trajectory — may rest on the power struggle that has ensued.

Mr. Modi, who is well placed to win a third term in a national election
that will begin on April 19, is wielding an increasingly heavy hand in what
his opponents call an unfair effort to drive out the governments of the
states his party does not control.

They accuse Mr. Modi’s administration of delaying federal money for major
projects; of jailing or hounding opposition leaders while shielding anyone
who joins the prime minister’s party; of obstructing the delivery of basic
services; and of throwing state politics into chaos.

The tensions are tearing at India’s delicate federal formula of power
sharing and political competition, the glue holding the country together
across 28 states and eight territories.

Regional leaders have described the behavior of the central government,
which holds more power than in federal systems like the United States’, as
that of a colonial overlord. In the south, the most developed and
innovative part of India, officials have spoken of a “separate nation” for
their region if the “patterns of injustice” continue.

Mr. Modi and his lieutenants have in turn accused the state leaders of
harboring a “separatist mind-set” and pursuing politics that could “break
the nation.”

India’s move toward more centralized governance could hurt its overall
growth, analysts say, as such efforts have done in the past. Big national
spending programs focus on basic development problems that the south mostly
solved decades ago. If that region’s freedom to make investments based on
its own needs is restricted, the effects could be far-reaching.

“It is ultimately self-destructive,” said P.T. Rajan, a cabinet minister in
the government of the southern state of Tamil Nadu.

Mr. Modi offers a simple solution: for the states governed by parties other
than his Bharatiya Janata Party, or B.J.P., to come on board.

He often draws on automotive terminology to make his pitch. Those states,
he says, could benefit from what he calls a “double engine” government,
with one party — his own — working in sync at both the national and state
levels.

If they do not comply, the states get wrench after wrench thrown into the
works of their governments, officials say, making it difficult for them to
deliver on election promises. The B.J.P., relentlessly expanding its base,
waits in the wings.

Last month, the chief ministers of about a half-dozen states staged a
dramatic demonstration near the seat of federal power in New Delhi.

With posters reading, “Our Blood, Our Sweat, Our Tax,” hanging behind them,
they complained that Mr. Modi was using his outsize control over the
distribution of revenues collected across India to entrench his party and
hobble their own state governments.

At the same time, Mr. Modi was on a final lap of the country before the
announcement of the election dates. In opposition states, he combined
promises of billions of dollars in infrastructure and welfare projects with
scathing criticism of the local parties.

They are scathing of him, too. They have repeatedly sued state governors
appointed by New Delhi, who hold largely ceremonial roles, over complaints
that they are stalling the work of elected governments.

“You’re playing with fire,” India’s chief justice, Dhananjaya Yeshwant
Chandrachud, told the central government
<https://twitter.com/LawTodayLive/status/1722892973355188497> after the
governor in the opposition-controlled state of Punjab repeatedly prevented
legislative work. “Will we continue to be a parliamentary democracy?”

In Tamil Nadu, officials said they were struggling to expand a subway line
in the capital city, Chennai, because Mr. Modi’s administration was
dragging its feet on New Delhi’s share of the funding.

In Kerala, on India’s southwestern coast, the state government is suing the
Modi administration over what it says are arbitrary borrowing limits that
have thrown the state’s budget into disarray and delayed payments.

In the western state of Maharashtra, home to Mumbai, India’s financial and
entertainment capital, Mr. Modi’s officials have splintered the state’s two
largest parties through a mix of pressure from investigative agencies and
offers of incentives. Such “smash and grab” politics, as critics have
branded it, has paved the way for the B.J.P. to emerge as a kingmaker in a
coalition government.

In the Delhi capital region, the B.J.P. appears hellbent on destroying a
smaller party that swept to power promising to improve basic services. The
territory’s elected government has been stripped of important powers, and
federal agencies have bogged down the top leaders of the party, Aam Aadmi,
in corruption cases.

The party’s deputy leader and a key cabinet minister have been in jail for
over a year. On Thursday, in a dramatic nighttime raid, government
agents arrested
Arvind Kejriwa
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/world/asia/india-national-congress-bank-accounts-bjp.html>
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/world/asia/india-national-congress-bank-accounts-bjp.html>,
the party’s leader and Delhi’s chief minister, whom they have accused of
financial crimes. He is the first serving chief minister to be arrested.

The bitter political dispute in Delhi is evident in overflowing sewage in
parts of the city and long lines outside government hospitals.

Aam Aadmi sought to improve hospitals in part by relying on outside
contractors to enter patient data. But the plan has been caught in the
crossfire between Mr. Modi’s officials and the territory’s elected
government, and the contractors pulled their staff from many hospitals
after salaries were delayed for months.

“In their political fighting, it is the public that suffers,” said Adit
Kumar, a cloth-seller who has diabetes, who, along with his wife, was
waiting outside a crowded hospital in New Delhi one recent day.

Saurabh Bhardwaj, an Aam Aadmi official in Delhi, said Mr. Modi’s intention
was clear: to push the country toward one-party rule.

“You reduced the state government’s work so much that people start saying
that it’s better to bring the B.J.P. and only they can deliver,” Mr.
Bhardwaj said. “That means the federal structure will collapse.”

The biggest federal-state fault line pits the more prosperous south against
Mr. Modi’s support base in the north.

Except for a brief period in the state of Karnataka when the B.J.P. took
control by orchestrating defections, the party has been unable to win power
in the five southern states.

Officials there say that Mr. Modi is trying to hold them back for their
refusal to buy in to his brand of politics, including his party’s stirring
of Hindu-Muslim tensions and its push to make Hindi — which is not widely
spoken in the south — a national language.

The resentment is amplified by complaints that the south gets
proportionally less in return for the tax money it sends to New Delhi.
Because the northern states have large populations and are far behind in
basic development, they get a larger share of the revenues.

There are also serious concerns in the south that the redistribution of
parliamentary seats once a long-delayed national census is finally held
will punish the south for its success in reducing birthrates, a key to its
relative affluence.

With its earlier investments in infrastructure, education and public health
— the result of a unique mix of political, cultural and historical
differences in the south — the region is better placed to propel India’s
ambition for high-end manufacturing
<https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/02/business/india-iphone-tech-manufacturing.html>
. Mr. Modi’s politics-driven approach, his opponents say, could undercut
his ambitions for building India into a major economic power.

The federal finance minister, Nirmala Sitharaman, rejected claims that
revenues were being unfairly distributed, saying the central government was
“releasing, and releasing on time,” the states’ share.

“We want every part of the country to prosper,” Mr. Modi said in Parliament
after the state leaders’ protest in New Delhi, casting himself as a strong
proponent of “competitive, cooperative federalism.”

In pressuring state governments, analysts say, Mr. Modi is simply
exploiting structural flaws in India’s Constitution, which created a
republic — a quasi-federal union of states — after the British left in 1947.

The Indian National Congress party, which ruled over India uncontested in
the first decades after independence, abused the outsize constitutional
powers given to the central government over fiscal matters to quash the
rise of competitors.

Starting in the late 1980s, however, the decline of Congress ushered in an
era of coalition politics, with regional parties finding representation in
New Delhi.

This was also the period when India opened its heavily centralized economy
to the free market. As growth followed, the distribution of resources was
subject to more push and pull between the central and state governments.

“The emergence of regional powers made the center commit to certain
principles,” said Kalaiyarasan A., an assistant professor at the Madras
Institute of Development Studies. “The 1990s was a golden period of
federalism.”

Today, Mr. Modi is seeking to remake Indian federalism with his “double
engine” push.

In opposition-held states, Mr. Modi has offered infrastructure and welfare
projects, branded with his name or that of his office, to pitch himself as
India’s only driver of development and growth.

In engaging in joint projects, the state parties face a political cost:
They will get the money only if they agree to the Modi branding.

And if they resist?

In 2022, Ms. Sitharaman, the finance minister, stopped at a shop in the
southern state of Telangana that distributed rice rations as part of a
joint program in which the central government provided the larger share of
the funding. Mr. Modi’s picture was not displayed there. Ms. Sitharaman
lashed out at state officials.

“This is the work that our prime minister is doing for his people,” Ms.
Sitharaman said <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPnthL9o-8>. “Our people
will come and install the prime minister’s photo, and you will, as district
administrator, ensure that shall not be removed, that shall not be torn, that
shall not be affected.”
Mujib Mashal is the South Asia bureau chief for The Times, helping to lead
coverage of India and the diverse region around it, including Bangladesh,
Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bhutan.
Hari Kumar covers India, based out of New Delhi. He has been a journalist
for more than two decades.