A judge is expected to always be above bias or prejudice in his official
capacity. But it is not always so. Some years ago I raised an issue relating
to a daughter of a High Court judge. She was at the time a student of the
Law College at Miramar and drove herself to college in an official
government car with a red beacon.  At least on one occasion that I know, she
met with an accident leaving the tax payer to foot the bill.

It was clearly the misuse of a government vehicle and unacceptable under any
circumstances. The Judge took personal offence and always gave me an angry
look in court, obviously for having pointed out the misconduct of his
daughter. Everyone comes within the ambit of the long arm of the law. Did I
err in standing up against something that was wrong?  It’s over five years
now but it is a question I still ask myself. Perhaps the answer will always
evade me.

Aires Rodrigues
T1 - B30, Ribandar Retreat
Ribandar - Goa - 403006
Mobile: 9822684372

* * *

UK STOCKS EXHAUSTED! After a community-supported launch at
Croydon, Selma Carvalho's *Into the Diaspora Wilderness* is
available at Broadways Book Centre, Panjim [Ph +91-9822488564]
Price (in Goa only) Rs 295. Ask a friend to pick up a copy.
Details of the book http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/

* * *