Am 08.10.2012 20:23:49 schrieb(en) Anil Madhavapeddy:
On 8 Oct 2012, at 11:14, Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas.gazagna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the license for GODI description files: most of the description files that packagers create in GODI are actually copied/pasted from author's website, so I'm not sure how you'll be able to track this if you don't have a *very* permissive licensing scheme.

For this reason alone, anything other than a public domain license seems very questionable. Are you really sure that all the contributors to GODI have the rights to relicense it under a Creative Commons license?

If they don't have the right to relicense, they also don't have the right to make it public domain.

As mentioned in the other email, most GODI packagers are actually the original authors or closely connected, so I don't see a big problem. For questionable packages we can find alternate formulations. We should only agree on something.

On the other hand, public domain is at least relatively simple. I took a look at the FreeBSD and OpenBSD ports trees to get some inspiration, and OpenBSD appears to be public domain (or, at least, bsd.port.mk is), and FreeBSD is 2-clause BSD licensed (but there are references to "source code" there which may not apply to textual description files). Both of these repositories have a significant number of licenses cut&pasted from websites in their DESCR files.

Given that the goal of all these packaging systems is to make it easy for other people to get on with using OCaml, I would encourage dropping on the side of simplicity and making the description files public domain.

Well, as you know, the description files are the only trackable part of the package metadata - which, in total, is a lot of work to create and maintain. We have a lot of problems finding enough people to do it, and I think we should give some credit back to those who spend their time for this work.

Note that a personal attribution would not make it impossible for OcamlPro to keep the copied texts in OPAM. It would only be required to include a reference to the original author, and the redistributed package metadata (if we keep the SA variant of the CC license) would need to keep the license or a compatible one.

Gerd