At work, a run of our primary app occupies 1400 cores (700 real
cores?) for several hours.  So, I might estimate that that'd cost
something like $200 per run.  Not negligible, given that the hardware
cost is already partly sunk.  Like I said, I know this isn't Google's
goal necessarily, but it might be interesting to capture some of this
market, too.  I wonder if a volume discount would be economical.

(Actually, the app I have in mind, though written in Python, also
requires a custom C module for the CPU-intensive loop.  IIRC, Google
doesn't (yet?) allow this.)

Mike