Hi there,

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM, pedepy <paul.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hey all. Although my app is far from complete, I thought Id do a
> little early 'load testing' to see what it would look like.
>
> I had noticed awful big cpu usage times, usually anywhere between
> 1100ms to 5000ms on my / page ! ... After some memcaching (I had
> absolutely none before that), I was able to get it to reduce to the
> mid hundreds after a few loads. Anyway, here's what i did:
>
> My script sent gradual requests to my app, as I understand this is how
> to best test the load under gae. I dunno if these values are optimal,
> they were completely random: 10 requests 2 seconds appart, 20 more
> starting at 2 seconds and ending at 0.25 seconds apart, and then 15
> more 'all at once'.I fetched / and then parsed the response for all a
> & img tags, and followed href's and src images. Then fetched those. I
> went 2 'levels' deep like that. I did not follow any forms.

This sounds like a good way to do the load test.

> My first few 'simulated site hits' ran as slow as what I had
> experienced at first. But quickly enough, I saw cpu processing times
> drop dramatically. Now, this brought a few questions:
>
> first of all, I got an 'too much contention on entity' (or something
> like that) error, on my first attemps at a load test, which threw 100
> requests for everything on my site all at once. I dont know what that
> error is, nor how do avoid it.

Are you doing a lot of writes on a single entity in the Datastore?
This can cause contention, which leads to this error. This is
problematic if you're trying to scale up your application.

> second, I noticed that request times read like this /'url'
> 200'response code' and then a time mesure and then the cpu ms time.
> What is that first time mesure ? Is it the total amount of time
> spent ? Does it take into account any kind of latency on the client's
> side of things or what not or does this value indicate server
> ressources  usage only?

The logs show "[response code] [wall-clock latency] [CPU-time]
[response size]". If you mouse-over the number it should show you a
tool-tip that explains. The client-visible latency would be the
wall-clock latency plus any network delays (which we can't measure
from the server side).

-Brett