On Monday, April 8, 2013 3:01:24 PM UTC-5, Chad Vincent wrote:

> You're going to have to take all your billable actions, log them to the
> datastore, and build a reporting framework.  For datastore calls and email
> and such, this should be easy enough.  I'm not sure if that would be
> possible for instance time, though.  (Maybe with a Filter, and log the
> total amount of time each request takes internally?)

+1. Also, different actions have radically different costs; one user's
actions may only incur some Memcache/Task Queue/Logging operations, which
are free or relatively cheap, and another user may be searching the
datastore, which can quickly add up in costs.

My suggestion? AppEngine implements the response header
X-AppEngine-Estimated-CPM-US-Dollars, which is an estimate of the cost of a
particular request times 1000 (Documentation:
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/runtime#Responses ).
This header is only available while you're logged in as an administrator.
So go browse your site, and build up a list of costs: what each page view
costs you. For example, maybe your home page only requires some memcache
data retrieval, so it should be charged very cheaply. But perhaps your
search page makes multiple calls to the datastore, so you charge more for
using that page. Then you need to record which pages your customers visit,
and bill accordingly.

One side note: It may be easier on an administrative basis to charge your
users a flat fee instead of going through this hassle. Flat fees are easier
for users to understand, and they help reduce support issues (witness the
many cellphone horror stories where people accidentally go over their
minutes/text message quota and get hit with huge fees, nobody likes those).
Also, flat fees save you from writing billing systems and allow you to
concentrate on adding new features, which is presumably why your users are
paying you in the first place.

-Vinny P
Technology & Media Advisor
Chicago, IL