In my (albeit incomplete) understanding, if you click on the screen, the
browser will work out what element is being rendered at that point on the
screen and see if it has a handler for that event. Events then may bubble up
through the dom hierarchy of elements until a handler is found (or not).
There isn't a great big list of handlers which are all checked to see if a)
they are in the right place and b) not masked by anything else and c) the
right kind of handler.

If you float an opaque div over the whole of your screen and click anywhere
you like, the browser goes ah, a click ... what's on top ... div-x ... does
it have a click handler? No ... parent? No ... end of story, no need to
check anything else.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com