Once upon a time, an ancient fish crawled out of the water and into
the mud. That was an important moment in the grand journey of life.
Its children learned to live on the land and eventually became us.
On December 21, I watched the a young company called SpaceX
successfully land a rocket booster stage, opening the door to
affordable space flight. Perhaps some of our descendents will remember
this moment similarly, wherever and however they might be living.

When I was a little boy, there was a book with a timeline in it with
predictions for all sorts of space related accomplishments. There was
a projected date for the Hubble Telescope and for a permanent space
station, and for people visiting Mars and the Jovian moons, and well
beyond. I'd sit there calculating how long I might live, and therefore
what wonders I would see.

It doesn't work that way. Things happen because people do them.
Because we do them. And often we don't. We put people on the
moon in 1969 with half our current world population. The atom was
split in earnest in 1945. But these and so many other fields including
my personal field of study, optical holography, have stagnated and
declined for decades. By the time I had the opportunity to listen to
Neal Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin speak at MIT in 1995, I asked
Mr. Armstrong if he thought people would walk on the moon during my
lifetime.

And then, a group of very hard working people basically said, "Screw
that, we're going to do something great." And landed that rocket.

Which brings us now, finally, to The Mail Archive. When I started it
18 years ago, it was not an ambition in any way; it was a set of
personal email filtering rules that were fun to play with. It was safe
and easy to grow into a low key small business, and we did some good
stuff at the usual slow but steady pace.

In 2015 we donated some of our earnings to aid for Syrian refugees, a
search and rescue team in the Sierra mountains, and to an animal
shelter. We tweaked the search interface to allow full thread reading
and introduced easier hotkeys (try clicking the subject line of any
email then hitting 'e' for expand.) We switched to 100% encryption and
upgraded to a fancier digital certificate. Backups are even more
serious now and we even keep on set on SSD. Message-ids are at the
bottom of every single message page for all three users who like
that. Plus an obscure bugfix here and there usually related to search.

I'm proud of that. I'm proud that we're still alive. I'm proud that
we've held up as a small business, through thick and thin. 2015 was
relatively thin due to less visitors than years past. And I'm proud
that in some very small way we've helped some people do their own
things.

https://www.mail-archive.com/discuss-gnuradio%40gnu.org/msg52584.html

As you think about the year ahead, please enjoy The Mail Archive, put
it to good use, and don't be afraid to reach for the stars. The Mail
Archive hasn't accomplished anything bold and fundamental. But maybe
you can. And should.

Happy 2016.

Jeff