Dear Ranju
The castedness of the Indian judiciary and legal system is actually fairly
well written about, so the lack of implementation of the SC/ST Act is hardly
surprising. Well, in its 58 year history since independence, our SC has just
3 dalit judges and one dalit CJ. If thats testimony enough. The same is the
question of gender. Since Fatima beevi became the first woman judge of the
SC, there is an unwritten practice, where another woman would be appointed
only after the term of the incumbernt woman is over.
Well, in that context, the worry is about capital punishment. This worry is
also pertinent in terms of the fact that most people vulnerable to the
policing system are Dalits and Muslims.
My point was that while conviction in the Khairlanji massacre needs to be
welcomed, the sentencing needs to be condemned
Warmly

--
Bobby Kunhu http://community.eldis.org/myshkin/Blog/