I should have noticed this earlier, but please always reply to the list so others can see all questions and answers.

On 2015-03-16 5:00 PM, Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:
So, does the #1 stand in place the text I enter in the gabc?

Thanks for the secrets.

Yes. Somewhere in gregoriotex.tex the styling macro gets called with the text entered in the gabc as its argument. This styles the text according to the definition.

When defining macros #1 (and #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, and #9 for more complex macros) are place holders for the arguments of the macro. Since in this case the argument of the macro is ordinary text, the macros basically says change the color to red and then print the argument in italics. There's also an implicit group here so that the color change only lasts until the end of the macro.
Br. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ