Problem solved, more or less. The issue is with gcc compiler. Apparently
the gtkmm bundle package is build with gcc-4.6.2, and some hack or other is
done to get glib/glibmm to compile.

If you try to compile and link your program with a different gcc version (I
tried 4.7.0 and 4.7.2) the ustring constructor in glibmm is broken and will
invariably lead to SEGV. Using a mingw with the packaged compiler and
tools, there is no problem with Glib:ustring.

So the quick fix is to install mingw with the packaged gcc (4.6.2) and use
this to build gtkmm packages. Plain gtk+ will most probably work correctly
with gcc-4.7.2 or later.

2013/9/9 Alcione Ferreira <alcione.som...@gmail.com>

> Only confirmed! Managed to solve your problem?
>
> Só confirmando! Conseguiu resolver seu problema?
> ---
>

> 2013/9/3 Edscott Wilson <edscott.wilson.gar...@gmail.com>
>
>> Thank you! I will try your suggestion.

>>> compile the program under mingw in windows, segv invariably follows any
>>> GLib::ustring. Methinks the culprit would be the internal utf-8 conversions
>>> which distiguish Glib:ustring from std:string.

>>> only locale that seems to work is "C".

>>> build the gtk window framework. Maybe the glade gettext stuff screws things
>>> up with Glib::ustring?   Usage of giomm and other functions which rely on
>>> Glib:ustring will also lead to segv.

>>> Boa noite!
>>> Tive problemas com a convers ̄o de tipos no in■cio mas o Glib::ustring
>>> resolveu tudo sem problemas, a nica altera￧ ̄o que tive que fazer para
>>> sistemas em win32 foi acrescentar a biblioteca correspondente ao SO
>>> <windows.h>.
>>> Segue o techo que usei para testar:
>>> #if  defined(__WIN32__) || defined(__WIN__)
>>> #include <windows.h>
>>> #endif
>>>
>>> Para esclarecer tenho um sistema de Fluxo de Caixa rodando em ambos os
>>> sistemas feito em GTKmm com acesso a banco de dados MYSQL e POSTGRESQL.
>>>
>>> Att.
>>>
>>> Good night!
>>> I had problems with type conversion in the beginning but the Glib ::
>>> ustring solved everything without problems, the only change I had to do was
>>> to add win32 systems in the library corresponding to SO <windows.h>.
>>> Follows the techo I used to test:
>>> # if defined (__WIN32__) | | defined (__WIN__)
>>> # include <windows.h>
>>> # endif
>>>
>>> To have a clear system cash flow running on both systems made ??in GTKmm
>>> with access to MYSQL database and POSTGRESQL.
>>>
>>> Att
>>>

>>> - --
>>> Paz e Bem!
>>> Alcione Ferreira