Dear Lena,

I am a Gwyddion and AFM user, I will try to answer as far as I know:

>1.       I read: to calculate the rougness and
>waviness data I need to filter the AFM-Data
>first. So my question: In gwyddion when I use
>the roughness parameters application, do I first
>have to filter the data, or does gwyddion filter
>the data automatically in this application?

I think you should first filter (whatever: plane
fit, flatten, etc) the image and then calculate
the roughness data (for instance if you do not
correct the plane, the image may have very different roughness values)

>2.       Does it make sense, to calculate the
>roughness in smaller areas of the sample, and
>the waviness in a greater areas? Because of the
>different structural size which matters. I
>thought about that, because I realized that when
>I change the thickness of the Scan line the
>roughness value drops with expanded lines, the
>waviness as well. So how should I use the
>application of the roughness parameters to describe my topographies best?

 From my point of view, the roughness does depend
on the area sampled compared to the typical
wavelength (or lateral extension) of the surface
features. If you have a characteristic surface
feature with an average size of  L, once your
scan size is larger (2 or 3 times, for instance)
than L your roughness should more or less
saturate (there are papers on this issue).
Perhaps the roughness could drop as you see
because your scan size is so large that you do
not have enough resolution to image properly
each  characteristic surface feature. Regarding
waviness I do not work with this parameter, so I cannot tell you.

>3.       I have a glass substrate covered. But
>the coating doesn´t cover the glass everywhere.
>Has gwyddion any way to calculate the coverage factor?

I think Philipp has answered this question already.

regards,

Luis