There are two gowns here in our collection at the Nova Scotia, made from the same, or similar fabrics, one is in it's original condition, the other has been remade to the end of the 18thC fashions...very cool.

It is my hope to one day take patterns from them both, you know, someday when I have a bit of time! ;-)

Kelly in NS
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] colonial

In a message dated 2/17/2006 12:37:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that someone had a go at remodeling
it to  suit a much later fashion?

That would certainly not be uncommon. It is extremely difficult to find an
18th century gown that hasn't been re-modeled, as the fabric was so
expensive! In fact, a curator friend of mine says that an 18th century gown in its
original condition would be the Holy Grail of costume finds.

Ann Wass