As to it's not showing much evidence of wear--another alternative is that the
bride died not too long after the wedding.

Ann Wass

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathy Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 00:48:30 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [h-cost] Re: Underwear, Demystified

Im a goober. *LOL*

In my enthusiasm I kinda FORGOT to mention the
fundamental information:

> What underwear collection are you talking about?

The collection is referred to as the "Sicilian Brides'
Trousseau"

> Whose was it,

No one is quite sure on an individual level. It has
some kind of connection to a convent, but it's not
quite clear to me what that connection really is. They
figure it likely was a middle/lower class girl whom
had learned to sew at the convent. I'm still not
entirely certain of this connection though.
It simply is a collection of under and night garments
made by likely one person, a possible second one
helping out, meant for a bride. However I see no
evidence of any of it ever being used for more than a
short period of time. Either that wedding was some
special or she never got married.

where
> was it made,

It is classified generally in previously printed
materials as 16th c. Italian but it's actually 16th c.
Sicily. Arnold features a photo of the drawers in QEWU
and the Cunningtons in History of Underwear, amongst
others.

and where is it currently located?

The Metropolitan Museum of New York, Costume Institute
currently holds it.

My apologies for my ever exuberance. :">

Kathy

Ermine, a lion rampant tail nowed gules charged on the shoulder with a rose Or
barbed, seeded, slipped and leaved vert

It?s never too late to be who you might have been.
-George Eliot
For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it. For every truth there is
an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to
receive it.
-Ivan Panin