----- Original Message ----- From: "Jayne Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <h-costume@mail.indra.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:25 AM
Subject: [h-cost] Jean Hunnisett Dress

Hi!

I would like to make the 1569 Elizabethan dress (or something near as possible!) that is illustrated on page 63 (the one in the middle of the group) of 'Patterns for Women's Dress 1500-1800 for my nearly four year daughter. Yes, I'm being very ambitious here! The thing is, how would scale the pattern (on page 68 onwards) to fit her? Am I being a bit too ambitious?!

 All the best!
 Jayne

Would that be the pattern based on this portrait http://tudor-portraits.com/HelenaSnakeborg.jpg ? The best way might be to take a pattern that's fitted to her measurements and then re-draw some of the seams to make it look like the pattern you're trying to recreate. Look through the regular pattern catalogues for something with a fairly fitted bodice, a waist seam, and a high neckline (so it's easy to cut down to the square neckline of the mid 16th century) then trace this pattern onto tissue paper and copy the lines you see in the book onto your full sized pattern. Fortunately you don't have to deal with removing darts/princess seams as people who try to do this with adult patterns do. The other option would be to copy it onto an overhead transparency and blow it up using an overhead projector, then you just pick one measurement (e.g. the centre front) blow it up to that size trace off the pattern and adjust the rest of the pattern to match her measurements (you'll almost certainly need to reduce the difference between the bust and the waist for a child)
Elizabeth