Hi Penny,
I think it's from a little later than 1860, and buttons in the front. That's just my opinion, before coffee though...I'll see what I can find.

Kelly
----- Original Message ----- From: "Penny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] hello out there and what's on your dressform

I saw earlier this week the thread "What's on your dressform" and didn't have time to answer. A lot has been on my dressforms during the past week. I have been photographing the fashion collection at Virginia Commonwealth University. I start teaching the fashion history class Monday at the university. I will be using some of the sturdier pieces in the classroom. The frial pieces are photographed to show the students projected from my laptop via a motorized screen.

Some of the collection's costumes are misdated. Each archive box is like opening Christmas packages... you never know what you will find inside. A lot of fun! I found a bodice in a box named 1900. The bodice is clearly not from 1900, as were several other items in the box. I think it might be date from 1840s or 1860s. My class time frame is from 1860-1990. If this piece is from 1860, I can use these photos in my class.

Would you all please look at some photgraphs of the bodice and let me know what time frame you think it is from. The center front and center back have a point at the waist.

Front view: ( I didn't pad out the waistline curve to show the full point)
www.costumegallery.com/help/P1010112.jpg

Flat view of the inside of bodice:
www.costumegallery.com/help/P1010111.jpg

Flat view of the back of bodice: