I come from a family of sewers. My paternal great-grandmother was a dressmaker. She literally could copy anything she saw, including most types of lace. I inherited many of her tools and a ton of handmade lace and lace samples, which I used on my own wedding dress, and my niece's christening dress. My maternal great-grandmother was the one who first taught me to sew, when I was 4. I learned to machine sew by sitting on her lap while she ran the pedal of the treadle sewing machine and helped me learn to manipulate the fabric. I made doll clothes all through my childhood, preferring to dress the dolls rather than actually playing with them. My mother made all my school clothes until I was about 12 or so, and I helped her with many of them, which is probably why to this day I hate stroking gathers.

When I was 13 I was signed out of the manditory sewing class because my mother refused to have me make the required projects (a gathered half-apron and a tote bag) since they had to be done at the pace of the rest of the class, and she considered that a waste of my time. The summer I was 14 I had my first real paying job sewing costumes for a summer stock production of Pirates of Penzance. I worked for that theater company for the next 7 summers, and also did high school drama productions. I worked just about every tech job there was, and acted a bit, usually as a singer/dancer, but I always worked on the costumes. I started historical reenactment when I was 17, and of course costuming was a big draw.

As an adult, I've worked as an alterations seamstress (yuk!), had my own business producing accessories and children's clothes, line production sewing for a ski clothing manufacturer, sewing instructor, patternmaking and production sewing for an airplane manufacturer, and currently I'm making costumes, mostly reenactment costumes, free-lance. I do costumes for a community theater group when they have a period piece and can afford me, but I'm mostly working for 2 private clients with seemingly inexhaustable costuming needs.

I'm entirely self-taught, with my grandmothers and my first theater director being my greatest mentors. I would like to take a few classes, fashion drawing and some advanced patternmaking would be good, but I can't find any locally that won't require me to take an entire course, which I can't afford and don't have time for.

Oh, and I do have a cat, but I haven't always, and have had dogs in the past, and will again when we find the right puppy. My current cat has a silk fetish, and so is banished from the sewing room, since he insists on dragging any silk fabric around the house with his teeth.

Melusine