I'm trying to find information on the iron corsets that show up in museum
collections and shocking costume- or corset-history websites.  Specifically, I'm
trying to track down sources for some of the information that is bandied about
(without references) online.  For example, is there any written evidence that
Catherine de Medici ever wore one, for example?  Are there documents regarding
her (supposed) insistance that the ladies of her court maintain a 13 inch
waist?
I've heard of an account of a 16th century doctor having one made as a back
brace, does anybody know where this came from?

Emma