This from Valerie Steele's "The Corset: A Cultural History" (2001)

"There do exist in museum collections certain notorious iron corsets,
which are usually dated to about 1580-1600.  But were they really the
first fashionable corsets?  Modern scholars who have examined them
tend to believe that these metal corsets were probably orthopedic
devices designed to correct spinal deformities. - 'when they are not,
as is commonly the case, fanciful "reproductions".  There is no
evidence that they were worn by women as stays.' Instead, it seems
that two types of corsets appeared in the sixteenth century:
fashionable corsets created by tailors, which sometimes incorporated
metal as well as whalebone stays, and orthopedic corsets constructed
from plates of perforated metal, hinged at the sides, which were used
by surgeons."

Katy