While I haven't encountered it in making something, I have heard of
problems with fibromyalgia (if I spelled that right!) and similar
pain problems. Torso surgery or injury that, even after healing, can
leave a person with sensitive areas. And, of course, people who wish
to participate in events while in the healing process.

<snip>

I have fibromyalgia and arthritis, and I find that my properly fitted corsets are MUCH more comfortable that any bra. I do have days that there's too much pain to wear anything fitted, but on those days I'm usually in bed with a lot of pain medication, not trying to do anything.

The trick for me is that the corset has to be short enough, and snug without being overly tight. If it's too loose, then it rubs against me and causes pain, and also allows my ribs to pop out of joint.

Melusine