Saragrace, i don't know how long she would be wearing the gown. i'm
overweight and I know that without a corset, women with any flab just look
worse than bad. Perhaps having very heavy interfacing and boning in the gown
or, as you said, a firm underbodice (with some boning if at all possible)
will help keep the beautiful, smooth line that is one of the most attractive
things about the style your friend has chosen.

If she'll be standing most of the time, the front could be strengthened with
plastic canvas. That would bend, not push too hard yet smooth the front of
the bodice nicely. Of course, if she'll be in it for long or if it's very
warm in your area, the plastic canvas won't work at all. (I use it for
making pill-box hats. Padded and covered with nice fabric, you'd never know
what's inside - and they're practically indestructible!)

Best wishes,
LynnD