From: Ailith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Corsetry issues (was Looking for "bad" examples)
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, October 2, 2008, 6:39 PM

I can no longer wear my beloved Italian gowns because I simply can't bear
the constriction of a corset. I have nerve damage due to Guillain-Barre
Syndrome. Just wearing a bra is torturous for me. :-(  I'd give a lot to be
able to wear my gowns again.

Kate

> Which makes me curious. What actual medical issues have people encountered
that really _do_ mean someone can't wear a corset? I'm sure it does
happen -- and it seems to me that having some idea of what really are the issues
that cause problems might help dressmakers decide whether to (1) attempt to
exercise more tactful persuasion, (2) devise some sort of work-around, or (3) do
the best they can to make a nice looking garment without corsetry.

> Offhand, I can think of two issues where any kind of corsetry or
stiffening can be a problem. One is for people in wheelchairs: if they are to
wear a corset at all, it must need to be designed for sitting rather than
standing, and I can imagine that for someone whow has limited mobility anyway,
not being able to bend freely at the waist could make some necessary movements
very difficult.

> I also have a friend who finds that a normal 16th-century corset and
fitted gown cause too much of the weight of the skirt to be carried by her hips
and lower back, which she finds very painful. She does much better with
something where most of the weight of the dress hangs from the shoulders (loose
gowns, for instance, although she can also wear a fitted gown with a few bones
but not a full corset). In her case, the medical problem is nerve damage.