Just a few more points to throw in here -

In the short time I've been in Haifux, it's been mostly a
'vote-with-your-feet' club. People show up to lectures which interest
them, and speak in favor of them on the mailing list. The reason, I
believe, we mostly have our "tight-knit" "linux-related" "lectures"
(taking all three terms with a grain of salt), is that the topics we
choose grow mostly out of the heavily community-oriented
Linux/F/OSS... er... community. That is, where Microsoft might [send
someone to] give a lecture about .NET, the body to give a lecture
about upcoming versions of Perl, for example, would be the perl
mongrels themselves.

Therefore, the other-OS-tolerance is there, just on different topics.
So while a lecture about "here's how wireless networking drivers work
in Windows" wouldn't be so interesting, I believe, to Haifux-goers, a
lecture about "here's how to get Windows wireless networking drivers
to work in Linux using ndiswrapper" - which would certainly include
parts of the former - would be very interesting to many of us. Other
lectures which might be of interest, of relation to this topic are
(off the top of my head) -

* An introduction to WiPeer, when (or perhaps more interestingly -
while) it is being ported to Linux
* Open formats - Opendocument and its implementation in various word
processors, perhaps including MS's
* Writing cross-platform software (I can already see the subtitle...
"or: why Firefox is so damned slow on Linux")
* Something "heavier" - design principles comparison between the NT
kernel and Unix-style kernels (please don't stone me :))

--
Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at

Ohad Lutzky