Personally, I have yet to find a useful way to graft activities into my workflows (which historically were always work-space based/categorised). The Plasma default setting is to switch between Activities with <Meta>+Tab, but this being KDE is of course configurable. Frustratingly, the good old <Alt>+Tab seems to trump anything and everything I try to achieve leaving me feeling that I have just taken a 25 year backwards-step. You should be able to have the same number of workspaces available to you within each activity.