Le 19/10/2010 10:53, Lilly Nguyen a écrit :
I have to say, this seems a tad complicated and confusing, although I understand the original problem this is trying to address.

To sum up:
- hanoilug@ => Vietnamese
- hanoilug-english@ => English
- hanoilug-french@ => French

Is it really that confusing?? ;-)

Knowing me, I'll probably end up mis-posting to the wrong list so I apologize in advance for this!

When you reply to a message, it will automatically go to the original mailing-list. So, assuming that you will answer in the same language as in the original message, there will be nothing to worry about.

The only moment you should take care about choosing the right mailing-list is when you'll want to *start* a new discussion, or switch language.

One question though: does it seem that this kind of language forking almost makes for three separate silos when LUG should function more as a clearing house for ALL discussions?

How about the foreign subscribers who don't speak Vietnamese at all and *are* isolated anyway when the discussion is occurring in Vietnamese language only?

So we had two choices here: declare the HanoiLUG mailing-list English only, which a lot of people (me included) can't agree, or propose people to subscribe according to their language ability; knowing that among them there will be people subscribing to more than one language who will probably help to translate and share back the information into the other languages.

I'm just concerned that this may "ghetto-ize" the already small community and further isolate each other, when we should have more cross-conversations with one another.

The HanoiLUG community is not small any more: we are talking about a mailing-list which today has 297 subscribers! :-)

At least in the previous form (with all three languages all together), there was more of an opportunity for people to cross-talk, even if they didn't entirely understand everything.

Some of our foreign subscribers are interested in our activities/discussions but are not understanding a word of Vietnamese language or are even not leaving in Vietnam... Still we are surely interested in sharing with them and getting their opinions in return, especially when their are experts in their domains. ;-)

Now, I'm just afraid that for those people who only speak ONE of the three languages, they may miss out even more.

People “who only speak ONE of the three languages” didn't get anything from the conversations in the other two languages anyway! ;-)

But I agree with your point on the fact that some information may not get through to the other languages mailing-list. It's the same in Life anyway: when you can't understand people's language(s) around you, you'll need somebody to translate for you, and you will surely miss something…

Here it's our responsability, all together as a community, to ensure that important information will be translated from one language to the others. We have always been doing that up to now, and we will just continue doing that by cross-posting in multiple languages on multiple mailing-list when required, and posting only in our prefered language on a single mailing-list the rest of the time.

Just my opinion and I'm more than happy to try this out to see how it goes.

It will surely change things a bit, but I'm confident that we are all here to share together and that separating the languages in different mailing-lists won't change that! ;-)

Cheers, J.C.

--
Jean Christophe "プログフ" ANDRÉ   — ✧ —   Responsable technique régional
Bureau Asie–Pacifique (BAP)    — ✧ —   http://www.asie-pacifique.auf.org/