I need some advice from my ham radio friends.

I've gotten some great opinions from several people whom have way more
knowledge then I do, but I just want to open this up and see what everyone
else uses.

Since I scored 74.3 percent on my technician class practice test, I want to
get a base HF Transciever. Even if I can't operate on much of the HF bands,
I still want to be able to listen to them.

Plus, down the line, I want the capability to transmit in HF and not have
to buy another radio.

I really like the ICOM IC746Pro based upon some pretty glowing comments
about it from a few people. Problem is, brand new.. it's really more then I
feel comfortable spending... its anywhere between $800 and $1000.

I have no plans to do CW. My biggest concerns are GOOD audio and ability to
handle weak signals really good.

I've had a few base/desktop HF listening rigs before and the audio is what
I call "utility".. a bit rough, and I need better then that.

I know what I would feel comfortable with and have no problem spending,
$500 to $600.

Can some folks offer some thoughts and opinions?

Regards,
A Young Whipper Snapper