The show's a bit up in the air at this hour but there's a lot of stuff out there to
"chew on" as one of our producers likes to say...Legislators return to Congress with a
heavy load to bear and an eye on November...Lots of press out there today on this
topic...I pulled a few pieces for you...Bush kicked off the season at a union picnic
in Pittburgh yesterday...Fineman tells me Bush is taking a page from FDR's playbook on
that one...One of the big issues the Senate is taking up this week is the massive
Homeland Security Department legislation...Bush is also set to meet with congressional
leaders tomorrow on Iraq...We'll talk to Kentucky Senator Mitch McConnell and a Dem
tbd about it...

My man Carney will kick off the segment with an overview of the fall
campaign/legislative season as well as the Powell/Cheney split over weapons
inspectors...You saw the bites in the Buzz last night, didn't you?  At this hour
Rumsfeld is holding his daily briefing and is being peppered with questions on a
possible administration split...Score one for Powell, I think...We'll play the bite
tonight...

Major Messing will do the NYT story on the special forces wishing to call off the dogs
on the hunt for bin Laden...

In the D block we'll debate whether Bush's war on terrorism will help or hurt the GOP
in this fall's elections...

In the Real Deal today...Fmr. Clinton HUD Sec. Andrew Cuomo is set to withdraw from
the NY Governor's race today...What's behind it?  Plus, we'll do something from
Milbank's notebook: How many times has Bush been golfing vs. the number of times he's
had a press conference?  Betcha you didn't know that one, huh?  Consider it for your