Clearly folks this a is HUGE news day on Iraq...I'm not ready to make the TV tray,
pizza and popcorn call yet (For you new folks, that's where we officially say it's
time to eat dinner in front of the TV because of the gravitas of the news cycle) but
no doubt you'll want to make tonight's show "appointment viewing"...

The leaders of Congress just got out of that meeting with Bush on Iraq...They did the
typical presser at the driveway stakeout...Hastert said Bush would ask for a
congressional resolution authorizing force against Saddam but it's unclear at this
hour where Congress is on all this...We'll take the temperature of some Senators on
the matter...John McCain, a strong Bush defender, joins us...Idaho Republican Larry
Craig will be here too...He made news today by saying if the vote were held today on
Iraq, he'd vote "No"..

David Gregory's take away from the Bush meeting:

bush says saddam is a "serious threat and a sig problem" and he must be dealt
with...doing nothing "is not an option" for the united states...said he will seek
congressinal "approval" for dealing with iraq...at the united nations bush said he
will "lay out ways to make sure he (saddam) will fulfill his obligations." new
inspectors? bush says he inspectors aren't the issue -- the issue is
disarmament....said he will tell the world that after saddam has "stiffed the world"
for 11 years ... the world's "credibility is at stake."...today bush begins to make
the case to congress. saturday he meets with tony blair at camp david. before the un
speech next week he says he'll speak by phone with cretien of canada, jiang of china,
chirac of france and putin of russia."

Another big story out of the Post this morning...WashPost: Powell says 'real' divide
on Iraq policy...Secretary of State Colin L. Powell acknowledged Tuesday that the
administration was divided over a possible confrontation with Iraq but said President
Bush would soon "pull all these strings together" as soon as next week.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/803127.asp

Michael Ledeen will do the C block on his WSJ piece: The War Won't End in Baghdad...We
must also topple terror states in Tehran and Damascus and reform the one in Riyadh.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110002213

Clinton will be slammin' tonight on Ledeen, trust me!

The D block "back to school debate" will be on sex education...Should we teach
abstinence only or safe sex?  We'll work Britney Spears VO (Voice Over, B-roll if you
like) in there somehow as well...Andrea Lafferty, Traditional Values Coalition, and
Sari Locker (a teen advice columnist) will join us...

We'll focus the Buzz and Real Deal Synergy on Clinton and some of the hot sots from
Larry last night...Seattle Times guy Carl Jeffers squares off with Ed Gillespie...Also
in the Real Deal: Powell gets jeered in Johannesburg, Erskine Bowles is getting
slammed in North Carolina over his Wall Street ties, Dennis Miller has a great way to
view the war with Iraq and of course the Clinton stuff...

Great TV tonight folks...Be there...Dominic Bellone, Hardball Briefing dude...Since
I'm meeting with the hot shots in Secaucus soon I wanted to make sure I threw you a
cross platform, cross promo bone...This website is THE gateway to all that's hip, hot,
sporty and spunky on cable TV tonight!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/MSNBCCABLE_Front.asp?0ct=-345

Here's the famous blog you read about yesterday in The Chicago Tribune:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/751547.asp?0ct=-34t

No woman will every accuse THIS Briefing of not having enough content!!

Mama Mia...Let's Mangia! This Is Family Style?...Memo to The Sopranos: Pass the Pasta
And Mind Your Manners (Post Food)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32555-2002Sep3.html

Fun Clinton News: Former U.S. President Bill Clinton said he has no plans to start a
new career as a television talk show host -- at least not in the near future.
(Reuters)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020904/tv_nm/media_clinton_dc_4

"I don't think so," Clinton said. "You know, maybe sometime later in my life I'd like
to do it. It would be intriguing to me because I like to talk to people. I'd like to
have Dole come on my show and tell me what I did wrong about things."  (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020904/ap_wo_en_po/us_tv_clinton_2

Welcome back to Lloyd Grove...We thought you got lost out there: Bad Days For Bob
Beckel http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35202-2002Sep4.html

Your Daily Dose of Mugabe: Mugabe lashes out at Blair on farm issue...A defiant
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe yesterday blamed Britain and other rich countries
for the poverty and despair in his country, defending his seizure of white farms.
(The Washington Times) http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/default-20029322715.htm

How the Congress voted on authorizing use of force in the Gulf...January 12, 1991

Senate Yeas & Nays 2:44 pm http://www.senate.gov/legislative/vote1021/vote_00002.html

House Yeas & Nays 3:51 pm
http://clerkweb.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.exe?year=1991&rollnumber=9

Bush begins pushing Iraq policy...President Bush, answering demands to know his
intentions toward Iraq, invited the congressional leadership to a Cabinet Room
briefing Wednesday and dispatched his Pentagon chief to Capitol Hill.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/802167.asp

President Bush pledged Wednesday to seek congressional approval before taking action
against Saddam Hussein, and told wary U.S. allies their "credibility is at stake" as
they decide whether to back his plans. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&ncid=716&e=1&u=/ap/20020904/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq

"If I voted today [on a war authorization], I would vote 'no' because I don't believe
the case has been made to the American people," said Sen. Larry E. Craig (Idaho),
chairman of the Senate Republican Policy Committee. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34619-2002Sep3.html

Powell heckled at the earth summit...Repeatedly interrupted by jeers and protests,
Secretary of State Colin Powell defended the United States' environmental record and
its efforts to help the poor in the developing world at the World Summit's closing day
Wednesday. http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/798955.asp

After winning the Persian Gulf War, then-President Bush boasted of the free hand he
had had to wage war against Iraq. "I didn't have to get permission from some old goat
in the United States Congress to kick Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait," Bush said. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=512&ncid=703&e=3&u=/ap/20020904/ap_on_go_co/us_iraq_war_powers

Tony Blair has been warned his dossier of evidence against Iraq will have to be very
convincing to stand any chance of limiting the unease about the prospect of military
action. (BBC News) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2235168.stm

Blair Assails Hussein, Backs Bush on Iraq...Pro-U.S. Stance Taken Despite Criticism at
Home (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34609-2002Sep3.html

Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder rebuffed calls by Britain for Europe to help the United
States against Iraq, saying Wednesday that Germany won't tone down its opposition to
military action and won't "submit" to Washington. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&ncid=716&e=4&u=/ap/20020904/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia is looking to replace its namesake CEO, who is
embroiled in an insider trading investigation, the New York Times reported Wednesday.
(Reuters) http://msnbc.com/news/803265.asp

Weapons still fly at airports...[Daily] News boards 14 jets with contraband despite
security push (NY Daily News) http://nydailynews.com/front/story/16104p-15186c.html

AOL's Case drops in Vanity Fair rankings (Financial Times)
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1028186240235&p=1012571727088

Page: Bush's agenda hinges on midterm election Results of Nov. 5 vote could shape his
-- and the country's -- future http://www.usatoday.com/usatonline/20020904/4416110s.htm

The Federal Election Commission is fighting a GOP attempt to question it for a case
challenging the new campaign finance law. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020904/ap_to_po/campaign_finance_1

The Starr Report: Kathy Guarini, the mother of "American Idol" finalist Justin
Guarini, went under the knife in Los Angeles late last week - just days before her son
was to compete in the "American Idol" finale. http://nypost.com/entertainment/56211.htm

A new Tampa Tribune poll is the latest in a series showing Bill McBride moving toward
an upset over Janet Reno in the Sept. 10 Democratic primary for governor.  (Tampa
Tribune) http://tampatrib.com/FloridaMetro/MGA32RFOO5D.html

Democrat Tony Sanchez gained ground on Republican Gov. Rick Perry during the summer's
exchange of televised attack ads, but Perry still holds onto a double-digit lead in
the governor's race, the Scripps Howard Texas Poll shows. (Houston Chronicle)
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/1560010

CA Gov: Gay Rights Flap Engulfs Simon...Under pressure from conservatives, the GOP
candidate for governor denies signing supportive responses to questionnaire. (LA
Times) http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-me-gov4sep04.story

Opinion/Editorial

Webb: Heading for Trouble...Do we really want to occupy Iraq for the next 30 years?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34847-2002Sep3.html

Barak: Taking Apart Iraq's Nuclear Threat
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/04/opinion/04EHUD.html

The Washington Post: Al Qaeda's Recovery
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34854-2002Sep3.html

Kaus on Reich Crispy...Plus: Is it reform -- or R & R?
http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2070176&#reich

The art of honoring the dead...Maya Lin, designer of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial,
reflects in Newsweek about how best to commemorate the victims of the 9/11 attacks.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/801958.asp

Rossett: Kurd on the Street...A visit with an Iraqi ally against terror.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/cRosett/?id=110002214

Kurt Anderson and Andrew Sullivan go head to head on blogging
http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2070360&&entry=2070363

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

Mallard Fillmore http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19