Tonight's gonna be a fun "6 most interesting newsmakers of the week" front
half...Bush, McCain, Blix, Kim Jong Il, David Frum and Paul Tagliabue (NFL
Commish)...We lead with Howard and debrief him for the top part of A (roughly 5
minutes)...Then we'll break out the Hardball all star panel: Terry, Dornan, Carl and
Barr (Yes folks, it's gonna be that hot...We're phat like that)...Topics we'll get
into include Bush's new stimulus plan, McCain's opposition and his teaming up with Joe
Lieberman to take on the administration over global warming...In today's Wash Post,
EPA honcho Christie Whitman comes out on the offensive declaring air pollution is a
priority for the administration (a little preemptive action here folks?)

Hey dig this little sugar plum: President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney each
stand to reap thousands of dollars in savings from Bush's proposal on Tuesday to
eliminate taxes on stock dividends...Based on income reported in his tax returns for
2001, Bush would have saved $16,511 on dividend payments of $43,805 if his new
proposal had been in effect for the year. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030107/pl_nm/economy_bush_taxes_dc_1

We'll of course hit the Axis of Evil "behaving badly" stuff...N. Korea came out
swinging today pulling out of the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty which drew the ire of the
international community and further escalated an already tenuous situation...Plus,
Blix declares there's no "smoking gun" in Iraq...

David Frum gave us the inside scoop and his impressions of the Bush White House on
Wednesday from his new book "The Right Man" which is creating quite a stir inside the
beltway...We'll get panel reax...

And finally with respect to Tagliabue, we'll get into the "field goal heard round the
world"...The first time in history the NFL ever admitted they made a wrong call...I'm
told this is equivalent to the Supreme Court admitting it was wrong about Campaign
2000 http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/6114046

In the D Block date: Have reality TV shows gone too far??  Are they debasing American
values and why are they so popular?  We'll talk to UCLA film professor dude Richard
Walter...

And finally, in the Buzz we'll talk to Lawrence O'Donnell, MSNBC political analyst,
regular Buzz guest and now executive producer of the as yet new hit NBC series "Mister
Sterling"...The star of the show, Josh Brolin, will join us as well...Think "West
Wing" meets Congress...Btw, Lawrence sent me an e-mail and suggested you read Tom
Shales review of the show. 'Mister Sterling': The Ayes Have It
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35902-2003Jan9.html

Terry's latest piece: A Tale of Two Investors
http://www.creators.com/opinion_show.cfm?columnsName=tje

Should be en fuego and one to set the VCR for if you plan to be out...Pls do join us...

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing in Washington, DC

Hart Hints At Running...Twice A Candidate For President, Former Senator May Try Again
(The Hartford Courant)
http://www.ctnow.com/news/politics/hc-hart0110.artjan10,0,1497064.story?coll=hc%2Dheadlines%2Dpolitics

Hart to gather Iowa supporters...State Democrats say the event probably is meant to be
more than just a friendly visit. (Des Moines Register)
http://www.dmregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/20191919.html

Hart: "I'd love to be president," he said. "I'd think I'd have been a good president
and, in some ways, would be a better president now." (The Rocky Mountain News)
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/politics/article/0,1299,DRMN_35_1664492,00.html

Dating games for the new millennium grabbed huge audiences this week, securing their
place on hit-starved TV lineups for months - or seasons - to come. (USA Today)
http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2003-01-09-dating-shows_x.htm

About 7,000 Marines from Camp Lejeune and fighter pilots from Seymour Johnson Air
Force Base will leave for the Persian Gulf region over the next few days as tension
with Iraq grows, officials said Friday. (AP) http://msnbc.com/news/852248.asp?0cv=CA01

N. Korea pulls out of nuclear pact...North Korea said Friday it was withdrawing from
the global nuclear arms control treaty, but has no plans to develop nuclear weapons
"at this stage."
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/850567.asp

Vice President Dick Cheney said on Friday that North Korea's decision to pull out of
the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty was a "serious concern" to the international
community. (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=EIBH55LW3MQ5WCRBAEZSFFA?type=politicsNews&storyID=2025089

New Mexico, the birthplace of the atomic bomb, became a focal point of world nuclear
diplomacy Thursday as representatives from North Korea traveled to Santa Fe to meet
with Gov. Bill Richardson. (Santa Fe New Mexican)
http://www.sfnewmexican.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=6657509&BRD=2144&PAG=461&dept_id=367954&rfi=6

U.S. says 'smoking gun' not needed
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/842500.asp

Preparing for possible war against Iraq, the Marine Corps has taken the unusual step
of stopping all Marines from leaving the service for the coming 12 months, officials
said Thursday. (AP)
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-01-09-iraq-military_x.htm

Iraqis may have GPS jammers...NBC News has learned from senior U.S. officials that the
Iraqi government is believed to have bought a large number -- perhaps 200 -- global
positioning system jammers, which can disrupt GPS signals.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/857322.asp

Bush Pushes Growth Plan Amid Skepticism...At a flag-making plant, he accuses Democrats
of 'class warfare.' Chafee becomes the first GOP senator to oppose the stimulus
package. (LA Times)
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-bush10jan10,0,1874346.story?coll=la%2Dnews%2Da%5Fsection

President Bush's $674billion economic plan hit a wall in the Senate yesterday when
moderate Republicans and centrist Democrats signaled it may be dead on arrival. (NY
Daily News) http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/50356p-47254c.html

Air Pollution a Priority, Whitman Says...Administration Effort to Press Curbs May Lead
to Clash With Senate GOP Leaders (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35458-2003Jan9.html

Sen. Hillary Clinton's camp blasted actor James Woods yesterday after he maligned the
New York lawmaker this week. (Rush & Molloy)
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/50335p-47219c.html

Davis' speech reads like Clinton's 10 years ago...Was speech plagiarism or 'accidental
homage'? (LA Daily News)
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E20954%257E1100097,00.html

The Phillip Burton Federal Building in San Francisco has become the first federal
facility to accept Mexican-issued ID cards, used by both legal and illegal immigrants,
as valid identification. (The Washington Times)
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030110-449218.htm

Train drivers yesterday refused to move a freight train carrying ammunition believed
to be destined for British forces being deployed in the Gulf. (The Guardian)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,11816,870974,00.html

Cindy Adams: Sen. Bill Frist, the brand new Senate Majority Leader who benefitted from
Trent's Lott, will make his very first major address on race. It will be - where else
- New York. Sheraton ballroom http://www.pagesix.com/cindyadams/28167.htm

More Cindy Adams: We discuss now the future of Rudy Giuliani.Kiddies, mother is
telling you America's Mayor is Keynote Speaker for the 2004 Republican Convention.
http://www.pagesix.com/cindyadams/cindyadams.htm

Slate: Date Expectations...The Bachelorette makes her debut.
http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2076530

Sony has chosen Andrew Lack, NBC's president and chief operating officer, to take the
helm of its music division, a day after Sony Music chief Tommy Mottola resigned to
start a new label, Sony announced Friday. (AP)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38294-2003Jan10.html

Opinion/Editorial

Show me the goods...What do Iraq and Clonaid have in common? In both cases, the media
keep covering the story without the evidence. By William Saletan.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/857212.asp

Landfield: Time to correct this quirk...N.J. needs to revamp gubernatorial succession.
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/opinion/local1/4914315.htm

Cliff May: Gun Smoke...It's up to Saddam to drop his weapons
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-may011003.asp

Buchanan and Press: Pat and Bill react to the renomination of federal Judge Charles
Pickering to the U.S. appelate court
http://www.msnbc.com/news/800980.asp

Abrams Closing Argument: Why the administration should share intelligence with U.N.
inspectors
http://www.msnbc.com/news/844141.asp

The Wall Street Journal: Playing the Lott Card..."Strom" Schumer gets ready to smear
Judge Pickering. http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110002887

Suellentrep: Wesley Clark...Is there a general in the house?
http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2076528

Du Pont: Following the Reagan Rule...Bush's plan would stimulate growth. No wonder it
depresses Democrats http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pdupont/?id=110002880

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

Mallard Fillmore http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19