We're coming out of the box tonight with the bombshell from The Old Grey Lady.
Executive Editor Howell Raines and Managing Editor Gerald M. Boyd have
resigned...Nachman's gonna be in the House of course as will Chicago Tribune guy Jim
Warren...He used to do the old Sunday Capitol Report on CNN back in the day with
Howard...The Media Research Center's Brent Bozell will join us as well...He put out a
fiery statement on the matter this morning...

http://www.mrc.org/press/2003/press20030605.asp

NY Times Statement http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030605/55352_1.html

MSNBC story http://www.msnbc.com/news/922499.asp?0sl=-31

Btw, the reason why Caddell had to cancel at the last minute yesterday was because his
dog Nosey was getting her stitches out and there wasn't any appointments available
until next week...We were trying to get a studio near the vet but we couldn't make it
work..."Nosey's fine and she's doing a little bit of running" Caddell informs
us...He'll probably do the back half panel tomorrow...

In the B/C blocks we'll do more on Martha with her biographer Christopher Byron and
Kudlow...

Byron on Martha http://nypost.com/commentary/514.htm

And in the D block, should your tax dollars be funding anti-American art?

In the Buzz we got Dee Dee on Hillary and that big "Campaign for America's Future"
confab which is the Liberal answer to the centrist Democratic Leadership Council
gang...A number of presidential candidates are speaking today...Shuster's at the event
and getting the hot sound...We'll roll it in the Buzz today...I'm working on getting
Terry from Modesto...

Last night was quite the wing-ding at the Washington "Hinkley" Hilton where media,
political and other hangers on gathered for the 59th Annual Television and Radio
Correspondents Dinner...You may have seen some of the clips from the event this
morning...It was official Washington on display...Cheney was quite a stitch with his
one liners...He was the guest of honor and who knew he had a sense of humor?...My
favorite line was something to the effect of "I love being in charge of the
government.....when Karl Rove is out of the country"...The headliner act, comedian
Henry Cho, had some good lines as well...If the audience had any doubts about Mr.
Cho's credibility they were quickly put to rest with this line from his intro ("He
starred in 'Revenge of the Nerds III'")....There were too many names to mention but I
gotta give a special Briefing shout out to Sam and his three lovely angels at
Crossfire...Apparently they're big fans of this sheet...Very flattered to meet
them...You wouldn't know it from their programming but those guys at CNN sure know how
to party...Their post dinner suite, Club 24, was rockin' to the old school jams of
Rick James and the Heatwave classic "Boogie Nights"...FNC had a commendable imitation
of Club 24 and NBC's post-dinner party bespoke of an operation more concerned with
newsgathering and being the best in the business than being the best in frivolous
partying...Wolfowitz was kickin' it at the NBC suite though...Fund was making the
rounds as well...Roger Ailes had a red carpeted pre-dinner reception and entered the
dining room with his golden boy Bill O'Reilly...NBC's own Lisa Meyers won an award for
investigative journalism with her series on Enron and Russert announced the formation
of the David Bloom award for excellence in enterprise field reporting...

The meal was nothing to write home about...Some kind of New Orleans salad with corn
fritters (which I enjoyed)...Had to substitute the salmon for another filet mignon
(The Briefing is allergic to fish)...Standard veggie side and and sweet potato
dichynoise (which had a hint of cinnamon)...Dessert was a chocolate cream creation,
decent presentation...We sat at table 5 with Shuster, Jamison, Mortman, Bill Press and
his producer Ann Klenk, Kerri Forrest, Rani Kahle and Tina Urbanski, Hardball
producers all...

Mortman's take: They couldn't get George Bush, so they went with Dick Cheney. The
couldn't get Margaret Cho, so they went with Henry Cho.  What, Kucinich was
unavailable?

Washington Post account: Media Rare...Broadcasters Dish With the Newsmakers
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15822-2003Jun5.html

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from Washington, DC

U.S. soldier killed, 5 hurt in Iraq...Grenade attack at a checkpoint in troubled
Fallujah (AP) http://msnbc.com/news/870749.asp?0cv=CB10

The pre-publication reports of some emotional details from the memoir of Sen. Hillary
Rodham Clinton sent her publisher, Simon & Schuster, scrambling Wednesday to protect
its carefully calibrated marketing plans, including threatening to sue Associated
Press for quoting from a leaked copy of the book. (The New York Times)
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/news/6018463.htm

Former first lady Hillary Clinton confesses that, during her sex-scandal-sullied
summer vacation on Martha's Vineyard in 1998, she and the Philanderer-in-Chief slept
in separate quarters. (Boston Herald)
http://www2.bostonherald.com/inside_track/inside_track/track06052003.htm

Joe's Real Deal: 'The Real Deal' on Hillary's book deal...A few years ago, Newt
Gingrich signed a deal for less - and was blasted by Democrats
http://www.msnbc.com/news/922491.asp

Hillary stayed sane by keeping herself busy (Chicago Sun Times)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-hillary05.html

Grove: What Did She Know, And When Did She Know It?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15097-2003Jun4.html

In her bombshell memoir, Hillary Rodham Clinton says she didn't know if her marriage
would survive the "stinging betrayal" of her husband's tryst with Monica Lewinsky and
she reveals stunning new details of her feelings about life inside the White House.
(NY Post) http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/510.htm

Hillary Clinton Memoir Jumps The Starting Gun...When the Associated Press somehow got
hold of "Living History" and began writing about it six days before the book's
official publication date, there was a burst of buzz. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A15037-2003Jun4.html

Martha's ad: 'I am innocent'...Stewart takes her defense to the public
http://www.msnbc.com/news/922509.asp?0cv=CB10

An Open Letter From Martha Stewart http://www.marthatalks.com/letter/index.html

New art center opens to wows
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/06/01/tem_CAC.html

Iraq Analysts Cite Pressure...Cheney, senior aide made multiple trips to the CIA over
the past year. http://msnbc.com/news/922284.asp?0cv=CA01

Liberal activists kicked off a campaign offensive yesterday in Washington with an
attack on President Bush and his policies, and criticized Democratic leaders for not
being tough enough. (The Washington Times)
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030605-020917-7106r.htm

Bush thanks U.S. troops in Qatar...Speaking in Qatar Thursday, President Bush argued
that the invasion of Iraq was justified and pledged to "reveal the truth" about Saddam
Hussein's weapons of mass destruction.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/922418.asp

Arafat criticizes Mideast summit...Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat said Thursday that
Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon offered nothing "tangible" during the landmark
summit with President Bush and Palestinan PM Abbas.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/801833.asp

Lofty words, lofty goals, tough odds...The lofty visions put forth by the Israeli and
Palestinian leaders on Wednesday will be welcomed by most of the world. But putting
those words into action may prove difficult. Analysis. By Michael Moran.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/921999.asp

House Votes to Restrict Abortions...The House voted Wednesday night to ban a series of
procedures that critics call "partial birth" abortion, handing abortion opponents
their biggest legislative vctory in more than a decade (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14984-2003Jun4.html

Chefs Bite Back...Chef Gillian Clark has had it up to here with customers who order
her lovingly prepared food at Colorado Kitchen and then demand hot sauce or ketchup to
dump all over it before they've taken a single bite. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1293-2003Jun1.html

Opinion/Editorial

History's paperless trail...The advent of e-mail is wrecking our national archive.
Many of the kinds of government documents that historians of prior decades have taken
for granted -- typed memos, minutes, etc. -- simply no longer exist.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/921797.asp

Novak: Police Corps is one program that shouldn't be cut
http://www.suntimes.com/output/novak/cst-edt-novak05.html

Fund's Diary: Jeers for Jazeera...The Qatar-based network is independent, but its
journalism is wanting. http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110003583

LA Times: Bad Spying or Political Heat?
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-johnson5jun05,1,2602316.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

Pruden: You want the news? Write it yourself
http://www.washtimes.com/national/pruden.htm

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19
<http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19>