Hardball airs tonight from 7 pm until Midnight ET...4 to 9 pm pt...."Until the last
dog dies"

Of course you've blocked out the evening for wall to wall coverage from Chris and
MSNBC...Remember when Jack had the famous speech at the end of "A Few Good Men"?  The
"you can't handle the truth" speech and "you want me on that wall, you need me on that
wall"?  Lemme tell you this folks: "You want Chris in Iowa, you need Chris in Iowa."

We've got our regular pros in the House: Howard, Scarborough, Campbell Brown & Dem
strategist Jacques DeGraff...Plus Shuster and a bevy of reporters on the ground, in
the field and at actual Caucuses...We'll also talk to a number of campaign strategists
from the top contenders...Plus a few surprises...This is one of those types of nights
in the business where you can never say with 100% certainty who will be on the air
until they actually make air...

A big treat you won't see on any other network tonight is our special "Pat Squared"
segment: Caddell & Buchanan will tag team throughout the night with expert
analysis...Caddell is even in DC now if you can believe it!  I called him at his hotel
room and was pre-interviewing him in between him literally snoring..."I worked on
McGovern in Iowa '72..SNOORE...Me: "Pat"...Pat: "Snoore, ummm then there was Carter in
'76 & '80, Snoore"...I'm not quite doing the conversation justice but it pretty
funny...

He'll be fired up tonight trust me...I couldn't shut him up before his nap...

Lieberman and Kerry will give us Caucus reax as well....

Folks what was once thought of as a "likely Dean" race has now become quite a horse
race with John Kerry leading the latest MSNBC-Zogby-Reuters poll...You'll not want to
miss this...

Breakout the TV dinner trays, pop the popcorn and order your favorite dinner...Lots of
fun tonight...

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from Washington, DC

Kerry keeps slim lead on decision day...Poll: 9 percent still undecided on best
Democratic candidate (Reuters) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3992425/

Iowa's caucus campaign was drawing to a close Monday as four Democratic candidates
made a push for victory in the suspenseful opening act of the 2004 presidential
election (AP)
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=694&u=/ap/20040119/ap_on_el_pr/iowa_caucus_rdp&printer=1

A late surge by Democratic presidential candidates John Kerry and John Edwards has
pushed them slightly ahead of long-standing front-runners Howard Dean and Dick
Gephardt in the race to win Monday's Iowa caucuses, a new Des Moines Register poll
shows. (Des Moines Register)
http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/23290009.html

Yepsen: Organization will be key to victory
http://desmoinesregister.com/opinion/stories/c5917686/23293251.html

With the race for first place in tonight's Iowa caucuses too close to predict, the top
four Democratic presidential candidates blanketed the state Sunday hoping to sway
undecided voters on the last full day of campaigning. (Quad City Times)
http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?story_id=1023129&l=1&t=Local+News&c=2,1023129

Curry: Democrats battle for every last vote in Iowa...In final push, Kerry grabs edge
in polls http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3993786/

Howard Dean, looking for an edge with Iowa voters on the eve of the caucuses, got a
show of support from his campaign-shy wife and a stalwart of the Democratic Party:
former President Jimmy Carter. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040119/D805VM080.html

Invitation? What Invitation?...Howard Dean says Jimmy Carter asked him to church in
Georgia. Carter doesn't think so (Time Mag)
http://www.time.com/time/election2004/article/0,18471,579006,00.html

Howard Dean's campaign-shy wife made her speaking debut on the presidential campaign
trail just in time to show support for him in the Iowa caucuses. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040119/D8060J780.html

Democratic presidential hopeful Wesley Clark, whose opposition to the Iraq war has
come under renewed scrutiny in recent days, won the endorsement on Sunday of George
McGovern, the 1972 Democratic Party nominee known for his progressive, antiwar
politics. (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=4154287

Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards vowed to defeat President Bush across
"my back yard" in the South as he strained to convert late campaign enthusiasm into an
Iowa caucus surprise. (AP)  http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040119/D8060QR82.html

Below is the transcript of an interview with Vice President Dick Cheney by USA TODAY
and the Los Angeles Times.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-01-18-cheney-transcript_x.htm

Fund on the Trail: Meany vs. Deanie...Big Labor and Big Government are increasingly
one and the same. http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110004575

At last, the night of decision has arrived. Iowa Democrats will gather at 6:30 p.m. to
select their favorite in the race for the presidential nomination, throwing open the
starting gate for a gallop toward the national convention in Boston in July. (Des
Moines Register) http://desmoinesregister.com/news/stories/c4789004/23293430.html

Joe Lieberman, who skipped the Iowa caucus race, spent Monday skipping across New
Hampshire by plane instead, hitting seven towns and cities in nine hours. (The Boston
Globe)
http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2004/01/19/lieberman_skips_iowa_to_skip_across_new_hampshire/

The campaign of retired U.S. Army Gen. Wesley Clark has reportedly named John Weaver,
manager of John McCain's 2000 presidential bid, as senior strategist. (UPI)
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040119-015427-3690r

Opinion/Editorial

Barnicle: Tomorrow, a few thousand white people who live in Iowa get the chance to
weigh in on which Democrat will spar with George Bush this fall. A week from Tuesday,
thousands of other white people from New Hampshire will get their shot.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/155857p-136973c.html

Novak: Howard Dean's decline
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/robertnovak/printrn20040119.shtml

Ridgeway: Mondo New Hampshire: All Quiet on the Northern Front...But a General Alarm
Spreads Through the State http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0403/mondo1.php

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19
<http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19>