Hardball airs tonight at 7p, 11p & 4a ET & 4p, 8p & 1a PT

So we got really backed up last night and all hot and bothered over Bin Laden's number
2 being cornered and such that I sent out the Briefing late to the server and forget
to send the confirmation e-mail...It's the security trigger thingy the hot shots in
Seattle devised to make sure we don't send multiple copies of the newsletters or
something like that...Didn't realize it until I was already on my way home...Sorry
folks...I'm sure you were tuned in any way...Helluva lineup wouldn't you say?

Speaking of the hullabaloo over the "we've got him surrounded" news...I told Chris
yesterday "It's like taking your car to the garage...All you want to know is how much
is it going to cost and when will the work be done? I don't need all the
details...Tell Musharaff to call me when they capture or kill him."

Be that as it may, we bring you another stellar line up to kick off your
weekend...Tonight being the one year anniversary we kicked off hostilities in Iraq we
go heavy on the diplomatic, military and intelligence angles from Madeleine Albright,
Barry McCaffrey and James Woolsey respectively...

We then wrap up the show with a special appearance by Archbishop Desmond Tutu on Iraq
and the 10 year anniversary of the end of apartheid in South Africa and the country's
first democratic election...Chris covered it way back when for ABC News and we'll roll
the tape...Chris watches as Tutu dances a little jig voting for the first
time...Desmond will bring some of that smooth voodoo only Tutu do (sic) so well...

And our own David Shuster checks in with CPA head L. Paul "Jerry" Bremer from Baghdad
on the state of Iraq's security and Democracy one year later...

We've been the only cable news show "down from day one" as they say on Iraq...We were
covering the buildup even before the "Axis of Evil" speech...Long time fans know and
respect that about us...It's only fitting then you tune to us tonight for your one
year update...

On another not so related note, check out our Tech Summit 2004 with Lester and Lisa
Ling this Sunday night http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4432962/

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Hardball Briefing from Washington, DC

Bush urges 'bolder action' on Iraq anniversary...Envoys of nations supporting U.S. on
hand (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4561492/

"No concession will appease their hatred," Bush said of al Qaeda and its supporters.
"No accommodation will satisfy their endless demands. Their ultimate ambitions are to
control the peoples of the Middle East and to blackmail the rest of the world with
weapons of mass terror." (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=F1XMHIPMTV2OECRBAE0CFEY?type=topNews&storyID=4608406&section=news

Powell defends war during visit to Baghdad...Top U.S. official makes surprise visit to
mark anniversary http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4551230/

Milbank's devastating analysis: Off the Mark on Cost of War, Reception by Iraqis
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4557891/

President Bush's prized "coalition of the willing" - the three dozen countries that
are contributing military forces in Iraq - appears suddenly to be losing some of its
will. (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4563295/

Amid a spree of attacks on hotels, the U.S. Army commander of Baghdad on Thursday said
while the coalition is winning the war, there's no end in sight to Iraq's reign of
terror and that "there's not enough concrete in the hemisphere" to defend every hotel
in the capital. (Knight Ridder Papers)
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/world/8220297.htm

"The mission was to liberate the Iraqi people from one of the world's most brutal and
dangerous dictators and to begin laying the foundation for a free and prosperous Iraq.
We have done that," Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff, told reporters on Wednesday. (Gertz)
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040318-112234-2645r.htm

Al-Qaida suspects put up 'ferocious resistance'...U.S. says none of its troops are
taking part in Pakistan battle (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4539021/

"They are surrounded and they are trying to break the cordon and get away," military
spokesman Major-General Shaukat Sultan told a news briefing in the capital, Islamabad.
Referring to the figure he gave of 300 to 400 fighters he said: "This is an assessment
from the fire we are receiving." (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=4606892&section=news

Iraqi journalists walked out of a Baghdad news conference given by Secretary of State
Colin Powell on Friday in protest at lack of security and the killing of two Iraqi
journalists by U.S. troops. (Reuters)
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=4605526

Iraqis now want to be given a chance...Buzz in the air even as Baghdad residents fret
over security (MSNBC) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4399324/

Some question timing of Kerry's vacation...Hiatus allows Republicans to define
Democratic candidate (AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4562607/

After an admonition from Father David O'Connell to "fight nice," two of Catholic
University's best-known graduates proceeded to tear into each other over which
political party was more responsible for the nasty tone of the presidential campaign.
(AP) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4562615/

Kerry now rejects foreign endorsements...Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John
Kerry yesterday renounced all endorsements of foreign leaders, after his campaign
faced questions this week over his claim that world leaders told him face to face they
want him to defeat President Bush. (The Washington Times)
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040318-112336-5673r.htm

Bush campaign gear made in Burma...His campaign store sells a pullover from nation
whose products he has banned from being sold in the U.S. (Newsday)
http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzsell0319,0,1292393,print.story?coll=ny-top-headlines

Plan to nab bin Laden stymied....A Pentagon planner drafted a top secret battle plan
for pre-emptively attacking Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan, but his recommendations
never reached then-Defense Secretary William S. Cohen, say defense and former Clinton
administration officials. (The Washington Times)
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040318-112322-8404r.htm

Coming soon to a computer near you: John Kerry as ... Austin Powers? A new GOP Web
video pokes fun at the Democratic presidential nominee-to-be, dubbing him "the
international man of mystery" for declining to identify foreign leaders he has claimed
support him over President Bush. (AP)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040319/D81DIA4G0.html

Legendary reporter Carl Bernstein riffed Thursday night about President Bush, the
Martha Stewart trial, the war in Iraq and his affection for Florida. (St. Petersburg
Times) http://www.sptimes.com/2004/03/19/Tampabay/Ex_Watergate_writer_l.shtml

Taiwan's president shot while campaigning...VP also injured; both leave hospital
(Reuters) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4559337/

Opinion/Editorial

Bowyer: Remember the Misery Index? Here's why the press doesn't play this oldie
anymore. http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_buzzcharts/bowyer200403180956.asp

Pete Bellone: Advice to the DNC on how to handle Bush:
http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/02.25.04/biter-0409.html

Attn Jersey Bear Hunters!  Landfield: Second Hunt Hardly a Bear Necessity...Bears and
politicians are mixing it up again in New Jersey. Although New Jersey recently
concluded its first black bear hunt in 33 years, the hunter-happy state Fish and Game
Council wants to schedule a second round for this fall.
http://www.practicalpolitics.net/landfield/3_18_04.html

The Wall Street Journal: Optimists in Iraq...The natives must not be reading Reuters.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110004842

Kaplan: Bush Insults Kerry's Intelligence...The president's latest attack is even more
dishonest than the last. http://slate.msn.com/id/2096874/

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19
<http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19>